MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #121
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAlan View Post
I know every bbq device and equipment has its pros and cons... There’s still possibly some good service life in your Camp Chef pellet grill, if you’re willing to do some upgrades to it. I like the fact that I can Set and Forget my Pellet Pro Austin XL and also enjoy Charcoal/Hardwood smoke from it with the SD Magnum P.I.G. upgrade. Every upgrade/investment comes at a price $$ though. That MB 560 GF sales for about $499.00 which is a pretty good price. I hear in a few months, Masterbuilt is coming out with a larger model as well. The more you see it and read about it, the greater the chances that you’ll eventually get one. Also, how is that DigiQ working out for you on your kettle/Slow N Sear configuration?

I actually have only gotten to try it once, just for a small test run. I got it on December 25. Messed around and didn't get it installed on the kettle for a couple weeks and then the wife had our second child on January 20th. So my time for goofing off at the moment is next to nothing. Hopefully once the Spring really gets here I can get some more time to put it through its paces. Just from the one test run I can tell it's going to take some fine tuning but the prospect of success is there in abundance.

Would still be interested in the Masterbuilt though. I really like that it could hold that much charcoal and the simplicity of the whole setup to go from cold to cooking quickly. I'll probably wait until my existing equipment wears out in a few years before pulling the trigger. By then there should be sufficient evidence of whether the 560 had staying power or whether it was a flash in the pan.
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #122
RCAlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Kettle View Post
I actually have only gotten to try it once, just for a small test run. I got it on December 25. Messed around and didn't get it installed on the kettle for a couple weeks and then the wife had our second child on January 20th. So my time for goofing off at the moment is next to nothing. Hopefully once the Spring really gets here I can get some more time to put it through its paces. Just from the one test run I can tell it's going to take some fine tuning but the prospect of success is there in abundance.

Would still be interested in the Masterbuilt though. I really like that it could hold that much charcoal and the simplicity of the whole setup to go from cold to cooking quickly. I'll probably wait until my existing equipment wears out in a few years before pulling the trigger. By then there should be sufficient evidence of whether the 560 had staying power or whether it was a flash in the pan.
Congratulations on your 2nd child... I completely understand not having enough time for the hobbies, but family always comes first. I think Masterbuilt has a winner with MB 560 GF... Long term though, only time will tell. Good luck

Old 03-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #123
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
The larger Masterbuilt, 1050, is out now and appearing in stores
Looks like preordering is available. $1099 for more than double the capacity of the 560 model. I'm intrigued!
93_confirmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #124
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

At that price I'd look at the Old Country GF if your Academy carries them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #125
SmittyJonz

Finally seen one of these in person........was Not Impressed - thing is Thin/Light Gauge - even the chute and burnbox - makes the 14 gauge Old Country stuff seem Heavy Duty 1/4”.......and the capacity is small

I’m not gonna fault anybody or dog them for buying one - but for the price of the bigger one I would go to the Old Country Gravity Fed for sure - add an ATC to it if you want but it does not need one. If your main use would be smoking - if your main use is grilling I would still buy another grill. Many of the mid grade pellet grills (Pellet Pro, Rec Tec etc) are better built than this thing -I’ve had better built cheap gas grills - my Cheap Chinese Charbroil Kamander is Better Built/Heavier Duty.

Just my Honest Opinion - which don’t mean nothing......

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 03-10-2020 at 10:53 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #126
SmittyJonz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #127
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Despite Mister Smitty's thoughts, I would not mind having one to mess around with. I think it is a VERY cool concept and Master Built looks to have done a decent job hitting the price point and still delivering. How long will they last? Hard to tell, but I bet as they start laying down or having issues, we will hear of it.
In all honesty, I have too many cookers and not enough weekend- one more taking up my space would not help my situation. I would not consider the upcoming bigger one- at the higher cost, tho. All my cookers are either low cost or home made- the bigger one is probably getting into what I'd call "real money".

Old 03-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #128
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

I've owned one since November and agree with some of smitty's points BUT this sucker puts out great Que with little effort.
Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2020, 04:54 PM   #129
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds15 View Post
I've owned one since November and agree with some of smitty's points BUT this sucker puts out great Que with little effort.
I’m Glad you like it. They should’ve gone a little heavier/sturdier - mainly with the chute, burn box and fire grate - esp for $500 and $1099 . Concept is Good if the controller is Good. Being as it doesn’t have to feed pellets it’s just an ATC so Probally no issues.
Old Country is 14 gauge with 1/4” for bottom half of chute and rebar firegrate.

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 03-11-2020 at 05:01 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #130
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Kosmo just put a video out cooking some steaks on one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhlgTQu9u5k
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #131
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

I'd advise anyone who is interested in the 560 to check out masterbuilt gravity series fan facebook page. The good and the bad is posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1583976891509.jpg (65.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1583977160403.jpg (46.1 KB, 298 views)
Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #132
Fishwater2002
Full Fledged Farker

I realize that Masterbuilt doesn’t have a great reputation & I’ve seen their typical models in stores but I’m really liking this one. Sure it’s a shame that it’s not a thicker metal or weighs a couple of hundred lbs but it is what it is. Still for the money it looks like a great cooker, as long as it works, does what it’s supposed to do & last for a few years I’d be happy. I wish I could see one in person, I might be tempted to pull the trigger.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:39 PM   #133
jlrichar
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I’m Glad you like it. They should’ve gone a little heavier/sturdier - mainly with the chute, burn box and fire grate - esp for $500 and $1099 . Concept is Good if the controller is Good. Being as it doesn’t have to feed pellets it’s just an ATC so Probally no issues.
Old Country is 14 gauge with 1/4” for bottom half of chute and rebar firegrate.
I agree, wish the charcoal zone was heavier gauge. It does seem to be porcelinized (there I made up a word) though like a Weber kettle. That should significantly increase longevity.

I think that’s $1099 Canadian. I thought the 1050 was supposed to be $799 according to the video with the Kamodo Joe rep.

Rex, you seem to have had one of these the longest and have shared many cooks. How well is the chute, charcoal grate, and ash bin holding up?
jlrichar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #134
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrichar View Post
I agree, wish the charcoal zone was heavier gauge. It does seem to be porcelinized (there I made up a word) though like a Weber kettle. That should significantly increase longevity.

I think that’s $1099 Canadian. I thought the 1050 was supposed to be $799 according to the video with the Kamodo Joe rep.

Rex, you seem to have had one of these the longest and have shared many cooks. How well is the chute, charcoal grate, and ash bin holding up?

Well, I got mine January 14. Usually cook something on it at least 3-4 times a week. According to M/B, there are varying thicknesses of metal used in the 560. Don't recall the exact measurements, however. The charcoal chute is insulated with a type of fiberglass firebrick around the area where the actual burning takes place. It's held in place by user replaceable steel plates when/if they burn out. I'm not showing any signs of rusting or excessive burning. The charcoal grate is made of stainless. The ash catcher/bin is porcelain coated steel that shows no wear and tear on it. Most owners are complaining about the paint burning off of the chute and top lid, but in my case, is not paint burning off, but a buildup of creosote on the lid and surrounding edges that I use a steel brush to knock off about once a week so the silicone gasket can do it's work of sealing the top of the chute

Old 03-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #135
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwater2002 View Post
I realize that Masterbuilt doesn’t have a great reputation & I’ve seen their typical models in stores but I’m really liking this one. Sure it’s a shame that it’s not a thicker metal or weighs a couple of hundred lbs but it is what it is. Still for the money it looks like a great cooker, as long as it works, does what it’s supposed to do & last for a few years I’d be happy. I wish I could see one in person, I might be tempted to pull the trigger.

Go for it, I say. After the first couple of weeks of ownership of the 560, I sold my PK360 and haven't looked back. One thing to know is that all the parts are user/owner replaceable. M/B has a fairly good record of parts that are reasonably priced.

The only drawback to this grill is for Android device owners. The app is hit or miss. Some Androids work, a LOT of them don't including me. B/T works ok, not a great range, but it does work. Wi-fi is a joke. Some of the owners, myself included, bought a Fireboard controller with the DRIVE cable, and are totally satisfied. Solid wi-fi connection, and can be monitored and controlled through an app, and using the Fireboard website, do the same thing on any computer anywhere. Can't do that with the M/B app