My babe Rachael (Carolina/Mustard Sauce source ?)

M

Markbb

Watching the food network and rachel is on one of her 40 doller excurtions and she's at a bbq joint with the Cairolina sauce and she claims it's good listen guys I'm in Oklahoma and a mustard or a Carolina sause is mostly unheard off here whats the verdict I'll try some but don't know where to go?? alittle advise thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Except for the very recent posts here re. Blues Hog and Cattlemen's mustard based sauces, I would probably have to tap into some well-respected recipes and make my own. Hopefully someone will jump in and give some guidance.

I've made the one in Raichlen's "BBQ USA" cookbook and served it with pulled pork. It's pretty good, but I prefer the red sauce myself.

I make a mean mustard sauce!!!

Mustard sauce

Sir if you could depart with such reciept I would greatly appreiciate it thank you!!!

Markbb said:
Sir if you could depart with such reciept I would greatly appreiciate it thank you!!!
Check your pm's.

jpw23 said:
I make a mean mustard sauce!!!

Hey!! for $4.24 a trial jar is a bargain !! Those apple and pear versions sound interesting too.

Q_Egg said:
Hey!! for $4.24 a trial jar is a bargain !! Those apple and pear versions sound interesting too.

Well order up man....I have habits to support!!!:biggrin:

Here is a very basic southern style mustard sauce. Feel free to fine-tune it to your taste.

1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon apple-cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon corn syrup
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
[start with about 1/2 teaspoon]
hot sauce to taste-tabasco or crystal

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.

Optional: Grate one small onion on fine side of box grater and add juice to the pot.

Here's a quick, no cook, mustard sauce that my family and I can't get enough of:

-2 cups apple cider vinegar
-1 cup yellow mustard
-1 tbsp black pepper
-1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
-1 cup brown sugar
-hot sauce or cayenne pepper to taste

I don't use any hot sauce or additional pepper. Mix all the ingredients in a glass bowl. Cover and let sit at least overnight. This works great on pork & chicken as a finishing sauce, and on fish as a marinade or basting sauce.

Anybody ever tried this? Apparently made in GA. I've grown up with Foy's and it's my favorite on leftover pulled pork sammiches.

foys_bbq_mild_50.gif

It's a lot more yellow than the picture depicts.

Last edited by a moderator:
What ever Rachel says Rachel will get if I can do it. Well........everything except mustard sauce.

Here's my recipe if it helps you.

1c apple cider vinegar
1c yellow mustard
1/4c ketchup
1/4c molasses
1tb worcheshire
1/4tb garlic powder
Mix, boil 3min, put in fridge overnight.

Blues Hog is a honey mustard sauce. not my idea of real mustard sauce but it's not bad for what it is. It ain't Carolina style!

fried chicken

You know KFC just isn't what it use to be when I was a kid,what happened!!! (hijacking my own thread):twisted:

Here's my recipe if it helps you.

1c apple cider vinegar
1c yellow mustard
1/4c ketchup
1/4c molasses
1tb worcheshire
1/4tb garlic powder
Mix, boil 3min, put in fridge overnight.

This is much closer to "Carolina" sauce then anything posted yet.

Carolina sauces, from what I know from Harry "Cabo" bringing his own Carolina sauce to a bash, is vinegar based first, with mustard, versus a mustard based sauce with vinegar, as more traditional Southern Mustard sauces.

As far as trying a good commerical vinegar/mustard sauce, the closest I can come to tollerating the blend of the two is Dreamland Sauce

Admittedly, it is not true Carolina (its from Alabama after all) but I just mean, for me, it has the maximum amount of vinegar I can tolerate. Its definitely more vinegar than mustard, and is a good compliment to pulled pork as a dipping sauce.

(Actually, use to is more correct, because I cannot tolerate the combination any more)

Edit:
I recall a sauce purveyor in the South who had a Carolina sauce that had a Confederate Flag on the label that he caught alot of flak over insisting it stay on the label. Can't recall if he's still in business. He use to make the Alabama style mayo barbecue sauce. I'm sure RicharF knows the name :)

That could be it Frog

By the time "news" is news up here, its pretty muddy'ed down and thrid party hearsay

Back