Reverse seared prime rib on the Bayou classic cheap offset smoker

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This one didn't go the way I hoped. I was on point up until the very end and failed...kinda. lol. I don't want to give away the ending but it was a pretty rookie mistake. Fortunately, the video is fun and I think people will get a kick out if regardless.

https://youtu.be/rqV9UniFbyk

For those that care, I still really like this cooker. I've probably used it 15-20 times or so. For me right now it's pretty close to perfect. It's the right size, easy to use, is holding up well and since I only have $400 bucks in it after all the Costco refunds, I don't feel bad if I don't have time to use it for a few weeks at a time. The only thing I'd change is the steel feet because the rust marks up the patio. Other than that, I'm completely content for now. I hope Costco carries them again.

lol on the sugar, that thing didn't even look like it needed a sear. I love my Bayou cooker, I picked it up because of your vid last year. And JasonTQ also.

It looked like a great cook on a good piece of meat...up until you were talking about the nice char. :scared: I have been there on some steak and chicken and pork steak before. Keep posting those videos! I know I enjoy them.

great video , i think maybe if you would have let it ride out where it was on the pit to say around 130 you would have had a great bark with out the need of the reverse sear and still have a good mid rare . man that roast was looking DEVINE until the reverse sear ... great job and great vid kid

Great video - I have the same cooker (thanks JasonTQ) so enjoyed seeing it in your video. Also, I appreciate you posting the "rookie mistake" and not taking yourself too seriously.

...serves you right for eating meat........

Good video!

Well... sometimes you're the windshield & sometimes you're the bug. What the hell, enjoyed watching the vid. Glad you went ahead and posted it.

It looked like a great cook on a good piece of meat...up until you were talking about the nice char. :scared: I have been there on some steak and chicken and pork steak before. Keep posting those videos! I know I enjoy them.

That actually got edited down. Originally I said "I got a nice char but I think I over did because I forgot there was sugar in the rub." When I ate it, I ended up saying the same thing again and it sounded redundant so it made sense to cut it out at that point. I knew I was screwed. lol.

great video , i think maybe if you would have let it ride out where it was on the pit to say around 130 you would have had a great bark with out the need of the reverse sear and still have a good mid rare . man that roast was looking DEVINE until the reverse sear ... great job and great vid kid

I know. It kills me. haha.

Great video - I have the same cooker (thanks JasonTQ) so enjoyed seeing it in your video. Also, I appreciate you posting the "rookie mistake" and not taking yourself too seriously.

I ended up going back and getting another discount after I saw Jason's deal so it cost me $399. I seriously can't imagine being happier with it for that price. I would quickly go back and pay the $679 they were charging before they started the clearance deal.

I wouldn't mind having one that is a little bigger but considering the step up I would want to take would be at in the $2K range, I'm thinking I'm going to be married to this Bayou Classic for a long time...and I'm good with that.

Man, I gotta say I learn more from posts/videos that fail (or have a fail aspect to an otherwise good cook) than I do the perfect ones. Honestly, I love it when one of you demigods posts something imperfect--I can always learn from it. #keepinitreal

GREAT VIDEO! Love the outtakes, too! Keep it coming!

Man, I gotta say I learn more from posts/videos that fail (or have a fail aspect to an otherwise good cook) than I do the perfect ones. Honestly, I love it when one of you demigods posts something imperfect--I can always learn from it. #keepinitreal

GREAT VIDEO! Love the outtakes, too! Keep it coming!

LOL. Thank you. Glad I could help. Really appreciate you watching, Kanco.

Back