How much paint do I need...

luke duke

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
...to paint a 42" Klose Backyard Smoker? The pit measures 42" x 20". The firebox is 20"x20"x20"

Just a guess, but 1/2 gallon. Might be cheaper to buy it by the gallon and put an extra coat on. You gonna blast it? I called and got a quote for blasting in Keller last week and it was about $75-100. I miss that pit!

Don't worry, I'm taking good care of it. :thumb:

Really the only part that needs to be painted is the firebox. I had planned on taking a wire wheel to the firebox, stripping it down to bare metal and putting a few coats on the firebox. The rest of the pit is fine. I might put a single coat on the rest of the pit just so the paint matches.

Here's a pic of the pit when thillin got it
MyKlose.jpg

A quart is more than you need. When i repainted my pit about a year ago i took a wire wheel to any rust and got it good and prep'd before spraying it with rustoleum high heat paint. I painted the entire thing with less than a quart, which i thinned a little, but not much.

pic1.jpg

I think 2 spay cans will do that pit. I keep a spray can on hand and when ever my pits get rusty spots I just wire wheel and touch up.

I bought a pint of Rutland Hi-Temp stove paint last year and brushed on both my NB Hondo AND Char-Broil 450 and had a little paint left over.

How many coats of paint did you apply and how much did you thin it?

A quart is more than you need. When i repainted my pit about a year ago i took a wire wheel to any rust and got it good and prep'd before spraying it with rustoleum high heat paint. I painted the entire thing with less than a quart, which i thinned a little, but not much.

pic1.jpg

Only 1 coat on the cooking chamber but i hit the trailer and firebox twice. I didn't thin it all that much, just enough to get the paint to flow a little better. I used a Campbell Hausfeld DH6500 siphon feed gun which i filled the cup and added about maybe 1/8-1/4 cup thinner. I prefer to use thinner coats and built it as i'm painting if necessary. I was a pain to get into all those areas but i probably would be tougher to try and brush it on. You know, the more i think about it i had some leftover paint in a quart container but needed more so bought another quart but i know for a fact i had some left over since i used some of that to touchup my woodstove in the fall. So it was around a quart used. The high heat is kinda thin to start with compared to other rustoleum enamels which required a little more thinning to flow properly. Don't forget that prep takes the most time so don't skimp.

Back