Brisket this weekend

East Tennessee Smoker

Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm new here to the forum. Sure are alot of people here! I have a nice brisket I plan on smoking this weekend. Whole packer. I have smoked a few whole ones and some separated with mixed results. I plan on doing this one whole. I've used store bought rub, home made rub and straight salt and pepper. They were all OK, some good but none great. I wrapped them at about 150 and then run them to 200 degrees. I have a Yoder YS 640. I hope this one turns out the best of all. I would appreciate any tips if anyone would like to share.
Thanks!

Welcome John. If you haven't already done so, get on over to cattle call and introduce yourself.
I am no brisket expert, but they are certainly turning out like I expect them to these days. Do a search either for brisket tutorial or Bludawgs brisket method. Both of these will give you a good foundation on which to build your own favorite and consistent method. By the way, I think that by being a new member, you have to use the search bar at the bottom of this page for now.

It should probe like butter in the thickest part of the flat. Temp can give you an indication as to when to start checking, such as no point in probing at 170. But the only way to really know when it's right is by feel.

It should probe like butter in the thickest part of the flat. Temp can give you an indication as to when to start checking, such as no point in probing at 170. But the only way to really know when it's right is by feel.

Everyone is right.. on all the info added above.. Once a brisket hits 185+ IT I drop the thermometer and grab a bamboo skewer. Best thing to probe a brisket IMO. I've seen briskets be done at 195-210 degrees.

Also with the rubs, and seasonings.. Instead of salt and pepper go with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder mix.. I do 1/2 cup pepper, 1/4c salt, 1/4c garlic, 1/4c onion..

My original recipe was 1/2 cup pepper and salt but I like less salt. I've heard of someone recently do a 1:1 ratio of all seasonings and really like it. said the added garlic and onion powder made the seasoning really POP.

Everyone is right.. on all the info added above.. Once a brisket hits 185+ IT I drop the thermometer and grab a bamboo skewer. Best thing to probe a brisket IMO. I've seen briskets be done at 195-210 degrees.

Also with the rubs, and seasonings.. Instead of salt and pepper go with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder mix.. I do 1/2 cup pepper, 1/4c salt, 1/4c garlic, 1/4c onion..

My original recipe was 1/2 cup pepper and salt but I like less salt. I've heard of someone recently do a 1:1 ratio of all seasonings and really like it. said the added garlic and onion powder made the seasoning really POP.

Welcome, John you are going to find out there is an insane amount of knowledge on this site and everyone is very willing to help with advice anyway possible. When it comes to your brisket seasoning there is nothing wrong with straight salt & pepper if that is the way you like it, but like mentioned above you can definitely do more to it to get a little extra something. Definitely go with Onion and Garlic powder, but don't just limit it to that I have heard other people who are big fans of Montreal Steak Seasoning among others. Just have fun with it and turn out some good food.

One tip I have is to inject the brisket with a marinade. This will help keep it juicy, especially the thinner parts. I like to use beef broth, Worchester sauce, Garlic and your rub. I found this to work really well. Also help with the flavor of the meat. Enjoy!
Todd "The DIRT Man"

Here goes. I trimmed it up and injected it with beef broth with some garlic powder, onion powder and Dale's added to it. Then sprinkled with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Put it in the fridge for about 12 hours. Set the smoker on 225 and put it on fat cap down. After about 7 hours it was 150 and I wrapped in foil. Let it go for another 5 hours. Checked it with a probe and it was like butter at the thick end but a little drag on the thin end. (Over cooked and a little dry)
The thick end was excellent. Slices stayed together but was very tender and juicy. Excellent flavor. The thin end was very good just dryer then the other part, but not bad. Best one I have done so far.thanks for the info guys.

Attachments

• 20200215_175123.jpg
    20200215_175123.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 20200215_180558.jpg
    20200215_180558.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 185
Oh, man... John, that looks really good.

Welocme to the family! If you haven't figured it out by now - you've come to the right place.

Thanks for jumping in and shooting some Pr0n back to us to enjoy your adventures.

Have a great weekend.

Back