MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #16
RandyNight
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Randy

Echo what has been said: hang on to the egg. What you gonna grill burgers on? I only have a BGE myself and am wanting a RF to add to my equipment. The egg is right out the back door and it's great when I come home from work and the wife has it going with burgers or chicken for supper!

Old 10-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #17
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

There is no difference in airflow or how often you need to tend a fire between a RF and a Traditional flow offset due to that design difference.

All offsets are going to require more work and more experience/skill to run well compared to a BGE or a pellet grill. For some people that’s a big part of the fun. For others it is a big burden. For most people it is both depending on the circumstances. That is why many are suggesting adding a stick burner and not replacing your BGE.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #18
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I cooked on Weber kettles for many years and went on to a BGE. I soon realized that the BGE is a great cooker, but so/so as a smoker. I bought an Assassin gravity feed to fit that need, and it does so nicely. The Assassin is well insulated, so I can smoke in 10 degree cold and hold temperature.

I will never sell my BGE, though. I love the high heat grilling I can do on it - especially with reverse sear prime rib, pizzas, and my wok.

When I retire in about 5 years, a stick burner is in my future.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #19
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I cook at 275* with beer can thick 16” long splits and feed every 20 to 30 minutes. Sometimes I’ll add in 2 splits depending how the coal bed looks. Ive never ever gotten to the famed “one split every 45 mins to an hour”, and I have an insulated firebox. That being said there’s not a lot of effort and screwing with it required.

Maybe it has to do with the size of your cooker? 24x60 seems pretty larger? Who knows.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #20
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

I add a split to my 250 gal RF every 30-40 min. My splits
are about wrist thick and 14" long.
Usually I can't see any smoke out of the stack as my wood is very seasoned.

I recently pick up a promo xl new in the box for half cost. Haven't used it yet, but now I'm having second thoughts about keeping it..
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #21
FTTH
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a kettle and can achieve extreme high radiant heat with attachments like a vortex or SNS. You just need oxygen and the coals right below the cooking grate. Wok and a vortex work great together. However I won’t get the taste an offset provides. My WSM has decent airflow but doesn’t burn wood the same way either. Ive also been debating adding a Santa Maria style grill for some time but an M1 could do both. Let’s see what the 2020 M36 looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FTTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #22
Bob Wiley
is one Smokin' Farker

Smokers are like guns, you just have to buy it and use the heck out of it for a while to decide if it works for you. If it doesn't suit you, sell it and move on, eventually you'll settle on your favorite.

Wives, unfortunately, fall into a different category.
Bob Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #23
rwalters

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wiley View Post
Smokers are like guns, you just have to buy it and use the heck out of it for a while to decide if it works for you. If it doesn't suit you, sell it and move on, eventually you'll settle on your favorite.

Wives, unfortunately, fall into a different category.

There is a lot of truth in that first paragraph. I ain’t saying a word about the second... lol.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #24
hvsam
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Sam E

I acquired the new 2019 M1 this summer. Have no experience with reverse flow smokers having previously been using the Pit Barrel which I loved but could never get the low and slow cooking I was looking for. I have done one stick burn and was trying to target 225 which I did by building a very small fire with half size splits and feeding it every 30-40 minutes. I had to fiddle a fair bit with the vent but results with ribs and a chicken were quite satisfactory. It took a little while for the fire to settle down and get past the white smoke stage but eventually it burned quite well though each new stick got a minute or so of white smoke.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zsVhgZHNMss41NGt8

Of course I could not see using sticks on a really long smoke. Since then I have gone for wood chunks over a bed of coals which is just so much easier. Still having a grill that gives you all of those options and is really easy and forgiving is nice and I am happy with the purchase and the value.

One thing I assume a BGE would do better than the M1 is to do overnight smokes with cold weather. I did an overnight last night and it got down to 30. My packed fire box lasted only 5 hours at 225 and I am sure I could get longer in summer. Metal I would assume is more conductive than ceramic.
hvsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #25
busmania
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

I’m with the others here. I started with a Weber Smokey mountain and quickly moved to the egg. Loved it but I wanted more involvement and my smoked food was good but not great. Got a stick burner and have t smoked on the egg, other than ribs once to do a side by side comparison in flavor, since. The offset ribs won hands down. I still use my egg but only for grilling and baking. Actually, a couple times I’ve started food in the offset and if I’m going to wrap, I’ll wrap and put in the egg to finish and I can go about my day. The egg is still a useful tool in my arsenal but the offset is my favorite.
busmania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #26
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

I've had a similar epiphany in the last couple of weeks, I have been cooking on my Grill Dome and my Pitmaker Vault for the past 5 years and recently started cooking alot on GMG Pellet Smoker. I had the opportunity to cook on a Reverse Flow Stick burner, and the difference was dramatic. The temperatures were consistent and the taste of the food was noticeably better. I was able to maintain temperature with my guru or anything electronic.
Since then it has me on a mission to buy a Reverse Flow cooker...
raycollazo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #27
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I have been cooking on a Primo XL for about 10 years. It is definitely a trade off. Flavor from a stick burner is superior but convenience from the kamado is hard to beat. I notice the”stale smoke” flavor in ribs more than anything else. Brisket, pork butts, reverse sear steaks turn out just fine. I have found that small,chunks are better. Chips are good too. Kama do’s are so efficient that you can get plenty smoke flavor from just lump depending on brand (B&B hickory is very Smokey). On briskets flavor is great but very little smoke ring from my Primo.

I just don’t have the time or patio space for a stick burner. I would never get rid of the Primo. If anything I might try out a pellet grill for ribs.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #28
Hoss

I too fell into them BGE craze. They are just another way/ method of cooking.Nothing special.They make people that do not know how to cook/ grill/smoke / roast,think that they do.Reverse flow spit burner will beat it EVERY TIME!.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #29
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

Webber - Cooks Great - no tending - I dont smell like smoke

UDS - Great Long Untended Cooks - I smell a tad smokey

New Braunfels Stick Burner - Super Fantastic Q - Alot of tending - I stink of smoke

Would not sell any of them

Old 10-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #30
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Also check Meadow Creek- great products
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote