MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #16
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

Congrats, that's a beautiful cooker. Nice upgrade to 1/2" firebox. I chose that option as well and I really think it's a game changer as far as efficiency goes.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #17
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Nothing like burning sticks. Congrats.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #18
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Alan, what other upgrades did you end up getting? Did you get the double door or single? I can't wait to get a cooker similar to this. I'm eyeing those new Shirley prototypes.
BBQscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #19
Potatoe
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQscott View Post
Alan, what other upgrades did you end up getting? Did you get the double door or single? I can't wait to get a cooker similar to this. I'm eyeing those new Shirley prototypes.
I just added the ports for a probe, and guru. A utensil hook, ball valve for draining, moving handle and large front table. . .i didn't get the double doors but really thought about it in case I ever wanted to try a whole hog. . hopefully I won't regret it
Potatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2019, 06:45 AM   #20
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Congratulations, that's going to be a nice cooker!

Other than the obligatory fatty as 1st cook, I would suggest a pork shoulder, they are very forgivable and easy to cook so less stress on your 1st cook.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #21
jkief
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeffry

Yep...That's the last one on my list to get. When the money gets right, it's going to be mine.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #22
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

Welcome to the club!! You're gonna love it.

You know what you need to obsess about next? Your wood rack and wood pile! Do you have one already?
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #23
Potatoe

Lol, I was figuring on a pork butt as my first cook. . .kinda treating it like my first ever bbq cook so I'm wanting some wiggle room.. .

It's funnt you ask txqguy, I was just on craigslist looking up wood . .. I don't have any right now but plan on having a nice pile of oak and hopefully some cherry by the time it gets here...I'll have to figure out how much I should keep on hand and how to identify oak when buying

Last edited by Potatoe; 10-07-2019 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #24
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You can’t start building up your wood stash soon enough - around here a lot of the wood sold as “firewood” is greener than I’d like for running in a smoker, so I usually have to buy some and sit on it a while before it’s ready. Every now and then I will get some that is just about right where I want it.

Last edited by sudsandswine; 10-07-2019 at 06:16 PM..
sudsandswine is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #25
Potatoe

Do you all go by time seasoned or actually check for moisture?

Old 10-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #26
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use a moisture meter, and or go by heft/weight, or even hitting two pieces together to make just the right “crack” sound.

Unless you get in good with a regular supplier that you trust I would probably take whatever the seller tells you with a grain of salt...everyone has “seasoned 1 year+” wood when it’s quite obvious that is not the case. Isn’t making them any money just sitting there drying out.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #27
Potatoe

Thanks, I was figuring I might need a moisture meter. . .I've still got a few months but will start getting some on next month, and if I can't source any that are dry enough hopefully I can get some from a friend that has a bunch for heating. . .great tips, thank you

Old 10-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #28
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
Lol, I know. . .I've watched so many videos on them, visit the page every day, look up offset cooks all day. . .its turning into a thing. . .
You're hooked, and are being reeled in.
There are much worse things to get hooked on though...

Congratulations!

Now... go chop wood.
We expect at least 2 cords. Never mind fooling around on the Internet.
You've got a new master.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #29
StevenC
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Steve C

Congrats!!! Right behind you. Ordered a 20x42. Just picked up a half cord of oak and hickory. The wait is going to be hard
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #30
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
Lol, I was figuring on a pork butt as my first cook. . .kinda treating it like my first ever bbq cook so I'm wanting some wiggle room.. .

It's funnt you ask txqguy, I was just on craigslist looking up wood . .. I don't have any right now but plan on having a nice pile of oak and hopefully some cherry by the time it gets here...I'll have to figure out how much I should keep on hand and how to identify oak when buying

If you don't wanna spend a lot on a heavy-duty rack, I recommend this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I have one and it's held up perfectly over two years...just hit it with a couple coats of heavy-duty Rustoleum and make sure to use pressure-treated 2x4s.

You can sorta see it in the background here. I hit it with John Deere green paint. Mine holds 1/4 cord at full capacity.

#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:

Last edited by TxQGuy; 10-08-2019 at 10:23 AM..
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote