Cinder block pit experimenting

Casey3115

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So last year I put together a cinder block pit at a buddy's house so we could cook a whole hog. I don't think I posted pics of that build or cook but it was pretty standard. Large rectangle with openings on both ends to shovel coals all day fom a separate fire pit. Probably why I didn't take a lot of photos. It was a lot of work.

A few weeks ago I decided to do something with all the cinder blocks that have been sitting around. I decided to change the dimensions a bit a try to make an offset smoker.

I have experimented a bunch and changed things around, and around while doing test burns. This version seems to be working pretty good now.

I ended up digging the firebox down one course which has worked out great. There is a sideways block under the grate from fire box to cook chamber, and the chimney starts below the grate as well on the other side. When the firebox was up higher the heat wouldn't flow well over the food because the pass through was not high enough in the fire box. Digging down allowed for the fire to be plenty low and far from the lid while also making the pass thru at the very top of the firebox if that makes sense.

I got a piece of steel for the fire box lid but still need to come up with something better for the cooking chamber lid. That corrugated stuff worked fine for the hog pit but now as a smoker that I want to draft well, it isn't great. I was waiting to make sure the design was going to work well before getting a big piece of steel to make a tighter sealing lid but after this weekend cook of ribs and pastrami I think I'll go ahead and do it.
553c07d20fca3bf818aa8376c3c21106.jpg
8a2d9b1f44bb70915bfb2088c6d739b3.jpg
b9edbbc80e7d5ede8a1c1433644c06b2.jpg
d41f7f191f7e2bb9a871cd0e9baee8f9.jpg
6395843ec315d99c6770a3b52a08a82c.jpg

Nice work!
Mine's not air tight. I just add hot coals to each end, (under hams and shoulders when cooking pigs) the center cooks by indirect heat.

Are you an engineer by profession? This was WAYYYYY too thought out. lol
Well it didn't start thought out. Was just a pile of blocks but after lighting fires in it and watching it draft, checking temps at the grate in different spots, etc it turned into this.

And I am actually an engineer too. Coincidence though.

...And I am actually an engineer too. Coincidence though.

Funny! I'm not an engineer, but I work with a $hit ton that are. I can spot your breed a mile away. Anyone reading this... Don't argue with this man! He definitely knows what he's doing! And, most likely... he's correct. Have a good night!

Nice. How well would this hold up to real high temps? Wondering how this would work for a outdoor oven/pizza oven.

This is what happens when you sit in a lawn chair with a beer and get a stupid idea...

As a rule Engineers engineer and Model Makers make models. Once in a while you find a few of us that excel at both!
Ed

Nice. How well would this hold up to real high temps? Wondering how this would work for a outdoor oven/pizza oven.
I don't think it would. The blocks around the firebox get hotter than I thought they would. It would need to be lined with fire brick. And the metal lid I have on there is only 12 gauge. It starts to deform if I get the smoker up to 300 in the food chamber at grate level.

This is what happens when you sit in a lawn chair with a beer and get a stupid idea...

As a rule Engineers engineer and Model Makers make models. Once in a while you find a few of us that excel at both!
Ed
This is interesting. I'm actually a design engineer. I am a builder, designer, do a lot of model making and prototyping.

That is a sweet set up, that looks awesome! Now you've got me wanting to build one of these

I knew a guy that was going to throw a big party, I told him we should build one of these to cook two pigs. Some other guy persuaded him to bury them with a bunch of coals, that was a waste of two pigs, he should've listened to me. Oh well!

Built a similar, much simpler version of this over the summer. VERY easy to put together and the total cost was less than $200. Cooked some of the best ribs I have ever done on it.

Back