need some advice from the guys with smaller patio cookers.

davefan360

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have an 60 tank that I might make into a cooker. it is 36 from end weld to end weld, and 19in diameter. I am thinking about doing an offset. if you have a cooker about that size please tell me what you thing. and photos would be sweet.

I think that's a little wider and a little shorter than the smoking chamber on my NBBD (New Braunfels Black Diamond) Jury is still out on that. It's an exploration into offset stick burners for me and I've only tried it a couple times. My go to cookers are WSMs and when the cold winds blow I stick with what I know. That said, the few cooks I did on it did not disappoint.

DSC_7168-PP.JPG

How much are you looking to cook? Mine (the main chamber) is technically a 20" diameter, but it has a little bit more space because of the octagonal/rectangular design. Rack length is close to 36" with very little sitting behind the door closure area. It is plenty of space for me. I can get 4 packers in the main chamber at once angled just a little. I did a 20# turkey on the top rack and surprisingly had good clearance (I was expecting to have to take out the top and cook it on the bottom rack).

Mini Smalls

This is my smallest cooker. Still big enough for a 4-Shiner cook.

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of my new Yoder Wichita. I believe the cooking chamber is 42.5" and the firebox is 22". I'm very happy with the size and the amount of food I can cook on it.
5992B0F3-CD95-4774-9EFF-26867C9B1382_zpshjbgr8ns.jpg

2CF3AAE8-65C3-4478-8FBF-EA100CCD0A8E_zpsvxggfijv.jpg

I've had great luck with my brinkman smoke n pit, I can do 4 racks of baby backs with no problem. It is 16x36
IMG_0502.jpg

Picked up this old Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn on Craigslist. It is 1/4", fully welded, and one of the first Longhorns made by Okie Joe. You should be able to find a good used pit on CList.

Last edited:
thanks for all the info. I have the tank, so I plan on building it myself.I have a large trailer smoker that does not have alot of storage space so for comp cooking I end up taking 2 trucks to get all my gear there. If I do build the patio size pit I can cook my brisket and pork butts in. Then I will cook my ribs and chicken in a UDS and all my gear will fit on one utility trailer with one truck. I just did not want to start cutting into a tank if I am not going to like the end result.

Here are a few pictures of my new Yoder Wichita. I believe the cooking chamber is 42.5" and the firebox is 22". I'm very happy with the size and the amount of food I can cook on it.
5992B0F3-CD95-4774-9EFF-26867C9B1382_zpshjbgr8ns.jpg

2CF3AAE8-65C3-4478-8FBF-EA100CCD0A8E_zpsvxggfijv.jpg

Nice. Looks as good as my wichita...and I am in the Lou as well!

Here is some pic's of the one I build. I wish I would of insulated the fire box but she treats me well here she is before paint and one of her doin work

Back