MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #1621
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

The pitbosses I’ve seen seem to be made well enough and I’d be tempted too at that price. If I wanted a smaller pellet grill though it would be hard to beat a GMG Davy Crockett. Tough call

Old 01-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #1622
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

I believe that Pit Boss is not the "chargriller" of pellet grills. They are made by Dansons, who also make the Louisiana grills. I think that they are great grills for the novice or someone who wants to try it out. That price is a good one, a great way to start, or as a second one for camping.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #1623
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Well, went to the Walmart by work to get some things for the kids and spotted the Pitboss Tailgater again. There’s was one particular box that was already opened so I started rummaging through it to see what’s included. It turned out to be a open box return with an additional 10% off.

I came into the store for diapers and milk and came home with this:

The department head claimed nothing was missing or used with the return. We’ll see if I lose out on the $180 or not.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #1624
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Well, went to the Walmart by work to get some things for the kids and spotted the Pitboss Tailgater again. There’s was one particular box that was already opened so I started rummaging through it to see what’s included. It turned out to be a open box return with an additional 10% off.

The department head claimed nothing was missing or used with the return. We’ll see if I lose out on the $180 or not.

Sucka!!!! You da man... love it :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #1625
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

score! If something is missing, just contact Pit Boss. It is new and has a warranty.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #1626
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

alright. finally someone else on this thread with a Boss. all these MAKs it's good to see another guy slumming it with me. I found the classic (one size up from tailgater) for $200. you bought new so you should still be covered under the warranty even tho it was open

Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #1627
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
alright. finally someone else on this thread with a Boss. all these MAKs it's good to see another guy slumming it with me. I found the classic (one size up from tailgater) for $200. you bought new so you should still be covered under the warranty even tho it was open

Slumming it... lol. I’ve seen those Pit Boss’ at WM. They are much heavier and well built than I thought they’d be. IMO, they seem to be a great bang for the buck :)

Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #1628
RCAlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:

Wow.. That’s a great deal on that PB Tailgater... Make sure you register it with PitBoss and as of 9-3-2018, all their grills are backed by a 5 year warranty. Make sure you always preheat your New PB before every cook as per the instruction manual, never take short cuts in prepping your smoker, invest in a shopvac and clean the burn pot/fire pot after every cook.. If You do those things, You’ll have very few issues with your PB Tailgater.
Welcome to the Pellet Family and enjoy.

https://pitboss-grills.com/5-year-warranty

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi
RCAlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #1629
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Did some jerk chicken legs today. Did them at 375 deg until I got some char on them (didn’t take long and just moved them to the top half rack and cut the temp down to 300 deg to finish. Turned out good!
Something I’ve noticed is that I’m grilling all the time now. I used to smoke 80% of the time and grill every so often on the kamado and now it’s the opposite. Funny thing is I like smoked meats off the Mak way more than the kamado.
Mak is doing great as a grill and cooks very even. Actually prefer grilling on this now more than my kamado. I have a lot more control now

Last edited by BKING!; 03-31-2019 at 09:17 AM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #1630
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Nothing wrong with a pit boss. They have almost a cult following on another forum. Very popular pit.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #1631
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Last edited by BKING!; 03-31-2019 at 09:17 AM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #1632
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
Did some jerk chicken legs today. Did them at 375 deg until I got some char on them (didn’t take long and just moved them to the top half rack and cut the temp down to 300 deg to finish. Turned out good!
Something I’ve noticed is that I’m grilling all the time now. I used to smoke 80% of the time and grill every so often on the kamado and now it’s the opposite. Funny thing is I like smoked meats off the Mak way more than the kamado.
Mak is doing great as a grill and cooks very even. Actually prefer grilling on this now more than my kamado. I have a lot more control now

Nicely done! I love drumsticks :)

Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #1633
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

You guys are really pushing me into the Flame Zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #1634
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Slumming it... lol. I’ve seen those Pit Boss’ at WM. They are much heavier and well built than I thought they’d be. IMO, they seem to be a great bang for the buck :)
I've been very happy with the quality of mine. it is every bit as nice as the traeger I had. wally's will clearance them out at the end of season and they can be had for less than half price. I've used mine enough to know its limitations. I treat it like the average joe would a gasser, quick cooks, lazy days, overflow. it has the honor of being this winter's porch cooker so it's getting alot of use

Old 01-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #1635
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
I feel the same way with mine. I set mine to 400° for grilling steaks and it is just the perfect level of heat. 4 mins 1st side, 3mins 2nd side and it comes out a perfect medium rare, with nice grill marks too. The heat is so even and consistent it's just a joy to cook on. Even the gasser I own doesn't do that well. I still have a charcoal grill, but it has been completely unused since I got the PG1000.

I got some of the Lumberjack Char-Hickory pellets that I'm wanting to use, but keep forgetting to drop them in the hopper when I've got a steak on. Today will be some smoked pork ribeyes. I salt them at 2.5g/lb at least 6 hrs before cooking and they cure up just about like ham. On to the smoker at 275° for about 45 mins and they are some good eats. No babysitting, flipping or anything. Just pop 'em on there and pull them at 145° IT. Can't wait for dinner tonight!
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote