Too Salty - Why?

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The last 5# batch of Hi Mountain Original Snack Sticks that I made turned out way too salty. It's edible but the salt taste is pretty strong.
I used 5# of 80/20 ground beef and followed the recipe just as I have before.
I called to ask them what may have caused it and they only offered that my dehydrator didn't get the sticks hot enough and I should use a commercial dehydrator that can be set to 180*.
I have an Excalibur and it has worked fine in the past with the same spice pack.
Any ideas about what may have happened?
I guess there's no fix at this point but I sure hate to trash all those stix.

I always did 145-150* in my Excalibur and never had any salt issues. My guess would be someone mismeasured, somewhere. I typically used Backwoods seasoning so I don't have any experience with that brand.

Sorry I'm not sure about a dehydrator, but when I make snack sticks, I smoke them.

Fat is like a sponge absorbing flavor, and yes even salt. Bringing snack sticks to the manufactures instructions of an internal temperature of 165, allows the saturated fats to render out and make a firmer product. Also saturated fats can easily help meat products to go rancid over time.

Personally, I think you should try smoking them for a trial. The box contains enough to make 10 pounds, use the remaining ingredients for another batch. You'll be amazed at the difference in flavor.

Thanks. I keep planning to smoke them but time seems to always be against that.
I'm pretty precise in my measurements and past batches haven't had this problem.
Maybe I didn't leave them in the dehydrator long enough. That's all I can think of.
I'll hope for better luck next time.

Thanks. I keep planning to smoke them but time seems to always be against that.
I'm pretty precise in my measurements and past batches haven't had this problem.
Maybe I didn't leave them in the dehydrator long enough. That's all I can think of.
I'll hope for better luck next time.

One other question, did you use 80/20 beef on previous batches? If you did, did you add the correct amount of ice water (1-1/4 cups) and mix well, before stuffing , and then letting the stuffed casings sit in the refrigerator overnight, before going into the dehydrator.

I am puzzled what the difference between your batches were that caused an increased salty flavor in the meat. I agree that if you had done this in the past, the item should remain consistent if all steps/items were duplicated.

maybe it just needed to be mixed better. have you tried multiple sticks to see if it is a problem throughout?

I don't make sticks, but my experience with cure is that if you cure for too long, it leaves a salty presence? Warmer temps cure faster than cooler holding temps.

I don't make sticks, but my experience with cure is that if you cure for too long, it leaves a salty presence?
Yup, I agree. You rinse many of these cured meats.. Sometimes soaking in water for hours and changing the water many times....
Ask IamMadman or Fatback Joe for 100% confirmation.

To all who have questions; thanks for the thoughts but my dilemma is this batch was mixed the same using the same spice pack. My scale is digital and I measure things in grams instead of ounces. I also have check weights that I use when reloading ammo so it's not a calibration issue.
After mixing it sat in the refer overnight, same as other batches.
I then stuff into collagen casings and they sit overnight in the refer.
Then they go in the Excalibur for the same amount of time and same IT.
For mchar69: I've never heard of soaking stix made with ground meat. Whole meat, yes, stix, no.
I vacuum seal the batches in 2# lots and freeze. I sampled each batch after I tasted the first one. All taste the same.
My only guess is that somehow their quality control had a hiccup but they would never agree to that.
I have some salt loving friends who will benefit though.

The last 5# batch of Hi Mountain Original Snack Sticks that I made turned out way too salty. It's edible but the salt taste is pretty strong.
I used 5# of 80/20 ground beef and followed the recipe just as I have before.
I called to ask them what may have caused it and they only offered that my dehydrator didn't get the sticks hot enough and I should use a commercial dehydrator that can be set to 180*.
I have an Excalibur and it has worked fine in the past with the same spice pack.
Any ideas about what may have happened?
I guess there's no fix at this point but I sure hate to trash all those stix.

I tried the high mountain jerky seasoning once and threw it all away, WAY too salty for me.

I don’t like their products

Back