Cast Iron: The bane of my culinary existence

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Of all the pits, grills, pots, pans, etc that I use for cooking, cast iron is the one that makes me want to rip my hair out. I’ve spent more time babying those things with week long seasoning processes and other cast iron “care” and yet all my cast iron look like rookie-level chit.

I’m wondering why we’re taught to revere these things when they’re so much work to maintain. I see these posts over the net of people confidently boasting that they can fry an egg and it comes out like a nonstick pan. I’m calling BS.

What can I do with this thing??

Attachments

• 2BC1803F-F067-459E-9699-83481DAAC15F.jpg
    2BC1803F-F067-459E-9699-83481DAAC15F.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 552
Just from the photo, it looks like you have a ton of carbon build up and have been layering seasoning on top of it. That will result in a seasoning that flakes and doesn't become nonstick

Also, does your pan feel sticky to the touch? If so, that's a sign that you are layering on the oil way too thick when seasoning. Just a few drops and a good wipe is more than enough when applying oil.

I pretty much use cast iron or carbon steel pans for 90% of cooking and have a pretty near nonstick surface with mine. Using a chainmail scrubber on yours should help remove a lot of the carbon and excess oil buildup. Don't be afraid to really get in there and give it some elbow grease. Hope this helps and your experience turns around!

Grind that out and re-season ta the 1/4 ya have been doing. Cast iron is just a even heating pan/pot not a unicorn.

-D

If I blast this thing out and start over, what’s the best oil and method to use? When I got it I did this seven day process with flaxseed oil that everyone said was the way to go. More recently I tried another method that everyone said was best that involves using Crisco.

Every time I cook in this thing stuff sticks and I have to get in there with a scrubbing pad, which takes off the seasoning. That’s why I’m so frustrated with it.

Just from the photo, it looks like you have a ton of carbon build up and have been layering seasoning on top of it. That will result in a seasoning that flakes and doesn't become nonstick

Also, does your pan feel sticky to the touch? If so, that's a sign that you are layering on the oil way too thick when seasoning. Just a few drops and a good wipe is more than enough when applying oil.

I pretty much use cast iron or carbon steel pans for 90% of cooking and have a pretty near nonstick surface with mine. Using a chainmail scrubber on yours should help remove a lot of the carbon and excess oil buildup. Don't be afraid to really get in there and give it some elbow grease. Hope this helps and your experience turns around!

Of all the pits, grills, pots, pans, etc that I use for cooking, cast iron is the one that makes me want to rip my hair out. I’ve spent more time babying those things with week long seasoning processes and other cast iron “care” and yet all my cast iron look like rookie-level chit.

I’m wondering why we’re taught to revere these things when they’re so much work to maintain. I see these posts over the net of people confidently boasting that they can fry an egg and it comes out like a nonstick pan. I’m calling BS.

What can I do with this thing??
Love the sear of CI but sorta in the same boat. I must be doing something wrong, either with season and/or the care. Hear about frying eggs in the pan and having them slide right out. None of my CI skillets have ever come close to that.

Still farting around with a carbon steel skillet.

I have 2 lodge CI pans and they look "normal'ish". I only use them for cooking steaks/meats with occasional other sides after meats are cooked, but since we don't eat a ton of breakfast I've actually never tried to cook an egg in it :-o. No way it would slide around and be "non-stick" without oil.

All I do after is scrub with some salt, a brush and even water to rinse. Add oil and reheat to 350'ish and let cool on the stove and they look pretty :shock:.

Now all that is said with I cook minimally on mine, but am in the same boat as you with not getting it. I just think CI isn't for everyone for everyday or even semi-regular cooking. My favorite pans are the cheap restaurant non stick skillets at sams club. Puts a good sear on stuff, hold good heat and can chuck them in the oven to 500 I think. Only downside is they are aluminum so wouldn't work on convection.

I know you will get some great help from the CI experts here, but just adding my 4 cents that I don't think I'll ever be in the "cook on CI all the time" boat.

Not sure what your heat source is, but I believe that cast iron is meant only for open flame. I recently moved from a home with gas cook top to an electric range. I put my CI away until I can get it switched out. When I do use cast iron, I keep a spray can of olive oil close by. No matter what I cook, it gets a light coat of oil. Cleanup is hot water and a dish rag or scrub brush only. It gets wiped dry immediately, and if it looks dry, another shot of spray oil. When your are cooking with it remember that cast iron takes longer to heat before its ready, and keeps its heat longer when you are done.

Grandma used CI because "that's what she had"- it was a tool and you can bet it did not get "babied". I have several- and they are pretty slick but I know when a good non-stick modern skillet is the right tool for the job. There is something inherently cool about using a CI pan- almost a link back across the ages but if I need carefree and super slick- CI is not it (for me). I have more than one size hammer, several saws etc...so I'm not opposed to stainless, CI and carbon steel skillets. If you are one of the CI only for everything, that's greatness but it's not for me /salute.

If I blast this thing out and start over, what’s the best oil and method to use? When I got it I did this seven day process with flaxseed oil that everyone said was the way to go. More recently I tried another method that everyone said was best that involves using Crisco.

Every time I cook in this thing stuff sticks and I have to get in there with a scrubbing pad, which takes off the seasoning. That’s why I’m so frustrated with it.

I fell for the flaxseed trick also and it was a disaster. Started flaking off like crazy.
So I scrubbed it all off and went with Crisco.

Wipe the pan down with a very thin layer of Crisco and I do mean thin. You should not be able to see any clumps or thick places.

Then heat your oven to 350 and place the pan in it upside down so that any excess Crisco can drain and not pool. You might want to put a pan under it to catch the drips.

After an hour, turn the oven off but leave the pan in it while it cools.

Repeat two more times and you should be good to go.

Everyone is OVERTHINKING this!!!!

Initial seasoning - Rub with vegetable oil and stick in a 300 degree oven for an hour. Wipe off excess oil and you are done. Seven day process with Flaxseed Oil??? I wouldn't want to use cast iron either!

Cooking - Let the pan get hot first, then add your oil for cooking. The more you cook, the darker your pan will get.

Cleaning - Most important step here. Rub as much gunk out of your pan as possible with paper towels. Put it on the stove and get it really, really hot again. Scrub under running water in the sink with a plastic bristle brush and try not to steam your hands while scrubbing. NEVER repeat NEVER use dish soap to clean. If your pan is hot when you scrub, everything but the seasoning will come off easily with just water.

Oil - Apply a thin coat of vegetable oil to the entire pan, let it heat on high for three to five minutes or so on your stove, turn off the heat and you are done until next time.

Everyone is OVERTHINKING this!!!!

Initial seasoning - Rub with vegetable oil and stick in a 300 degree oven for an hour. Wipe off excess oil and you are done. Seven day process with Flaxseed Oil??? I wouldn't want to use cast iron either!

Cooking - Let the pan get hot first, then add your oil for cooking. The more you cook, the darker your pan will get.

Cleaning - Most important step here. Rub as much gunk out of your pan as possible with paper towels. Put it on the stove and get it really, really hot again. Scrub under running water in the sink with a plastic bristle brush and try not to steam your hands while scrubbing. NEVER repeat NEVER use dish soap to clean. If your pan is hot when you scrub, everything but the seasoning will come off easily with just water.

Oil - Apply a thin coat of vegetable oil to the entire pan, let it heat on high for three to five minutes or so on your stove, turn off the heat and you are done until next time.

I would agree that a 7 day season is a bit much. But honestly I think that never use dish soap thing is a myth. Long ago soap may have been harsh but today it's pretty mild. If I need to scrub my pan I use a ball of aluminum foil and hot water but soapy sponge has never seemed to hurt tho. A drop of dawn isn't going to strip away the seasoning....at least on my pan.

I’m not a huge fan of cast iron either. While I think the ability to cook eggs is a pretty cool demonstration, I’m not sure why it’s better than a cheap non-stick pan for cooking eggs.

I am starting to play around with some of the enameled versions and I do like how they work for browning and then a long braise.

I didn’t do a great job on seasoning my blackstone either and at some point I am going to have to deal with it. I went down the flax seed route on that too. Definitely overthought it and didn’t do a great job on execution

Thanks for all these tips I’m a gonna make this my weekend project. I see a stripping method of spraying the pan down with Oven Cleaner and letting sit in plastic bag for a day or two. Turns crud to a goo. Will start there. Thanks!

I have a couple that work fine but they get used sparingly . It’s just too much hassle to mess with most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would agree that a 7 day season is a bit much. But honestly I think that never use dish soap thing is a myth. Long ago soap may have been harsh but today it's pretty mild. If I need to scrub my pan I use a ball of aluminum foil and hot water but soapy sponge has never seemed to hurt tho. A drop of dawn isn't going to strip away the seasoning....at least on my pan.

The point I was trying to make is just like in Frech Cuisine where you deglaze the pan to create your "Fond", if you have a raging hot cast iron pan being scrubbed under cold running water, you don't need soap! Everything just melts off.

Back