How Long Should I smoke a 20 lb Beast of a Brisket??

BlackDogBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
I have a 22lb whole packer brisket that I'm smoking tomorrow . I have smoked several briskets in my day but nothing like this hoss. Usually I am working with one around 10-12 pounds which averages out to about 50-60 mins per pound of actual time on the smoker. My question is will this beast really take 20-22 hours or are there any ecomies of scale, so to speak, that will have it coming in earlier then that.

I usually smoke at 250-260 on a Stumps Smoker (cabinet style gravity fed charcoal deal with wood chunks added) and wrap in buthcher paper after the stall .

I look forward to hearing from this panel of expert smokers ... as well as the occasional bull****ter.

Thanks in advance ,

Heath

Any idea what it will be after trimming? If you are pressed for time you might want to split the point and the flat.

I find the big ones don't take too much longer than say the 12-14lb range at 275'ish or a little higher.

Maybe that takes 1-2hrs more running 250, just guessing.

And you can always bumb temp midway through and especially if you wrap.

Any idea what it will be after trimming? If you are pressed for time you might want to split the point and the flat.

Fair question. The fat cap does not look overly fat and it is fairly squared up as is so I would estimate trimming no more then a pound or two.

I find that really big briskets take longer to get the bark/color I am looking for, but once they are wrapped take about the same amount of time to finish as smaller ones.

I'd plan on maybe 2-3 hours longer before you wrap, but pretty close to you usual timing post wrap.

Yeah that is was I was trying to flush out. In my experience the difference in cook time between a 10 pounder and 13. pounder is more like an hour as oppsoed to 3-5 hours. Granted every brisket is a special snow flake so you cant time these suckers down to the min however there is a big difference in planning for a 22 hour cook vs say a 14 hour cook.

I find that really big briskets take longer to get the bark/color I am looking for, but once they are wrapped take about the same amount of time to finish as smaller ones.

I'd plan on maybe 2-3 hours longer before you wrap, but pretty close to you usual timing post wrap.

That is intersting that they take about the same amount of time post wrap. That is why I come here for advice. I really appreciate the insight.

Plan on 24 hours ... how long it takes will be pretty irrelavent at that point. Get it tender & let it rest until you need to slice it.

Be sure to let it cool to around 140-150 before slicing if possible.

You are within a couple of pouds of what I will be smoking so that is great feed back to have.

What temp did you smoke at if you dont mind me asking?

I actually started it in my pellet grill at 200° at midnight. Switched it to my stick burner around 7am at 250°. Was done at noon.

Cool. Just curious why did you switch cookers mid way though ? Did you start off on the pellet smoker since it could cook through the night without having to be watched ?

Until it's done - don't listen to nonsense. The real trick to brisket is knowing when it's done. You can try all the advise about time/temp, but the reality is that a brisket is done when it probes tender - not time, not temp, not nonsense! When it probes tender, it's time to rest!

Until it's done - don't listen to nonsense. The real trick to brisket is knowing when it's done. You can try all the advise about time/temp, but the reality is that a brisket is done when it probes tender - not time, not temp, not nonsense! When it probes tender, it's time to rest!

OP asked a valid question. Don't think any of the answers to his question were nonsense. It's a guide line to go by.

So the next time someone asks "how long" is it going to take, the answer should be when it's done?

OP asked a valid question. Don't think any of the answers to his question were nonsense. It's a guide line to go by.

So the next time someone asks "how long" is it going to take, the answer should be when it's done?

Exactly. I am not looking for the exact min just trying to narrow down to a window. We have plan around meal times and around peoples schedules to some extent. Granted I am always a few hours late. Otherwise you would just throw a brisket on not knowing if its going to be ready for dinner or breakfast. Also the temp is important since it plays into the time window. 225 cooks a lot slower then 275 at least in my smoker.

I do agree with you that it is ready when it is ready and not when it hits a exact degree which is probably what he meant. Either way I appreaciate the feedback.

Back