Need some brisket advice

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Merry Christmas all. I need to be schooled on brisket. I cooked a prime the other day at 275 until the bark was nicely formed. Wrapped in foil until it was probe tender on several sections of the flat. Temps were between 203 and 208. The point was like warm butter. vented and rested for about 4 hours until it was time to eat. Taste was great and it was very moist. Problem was that even with a very sharp knife it couldn't be sliced without falling apart. Over cooked?

Over cooked.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

There are two possible answers:

1. Overcooked - However, it sounds like your internal temps, plus probing indicates that before holding.... it was cooked just fine.

2. Improper prep before the 4-hour hold which caused the brisket to continue to cook (or allowed it to overcook), I'm leaning on this. When you vented the wrap, how much temperature drop did you allow? In other words, was the internal 200°, 195°, 190° or lower when you resealed the foil and did the 4-hour hold? Did you hold it in a hot box or cooler?

There are two possible answers:

1. Overcooked - However, it sounds like your internal temps, plus probing indicates that before holding.... it was cooked just fine.

2. Improper prep before the 4-hour hold which caused the brisket to continue to cook (or allowed it to overcook), I'm leaning on this. When you vented the wrap, how much temperature drop did you allow? In other words, was the internal 200°, 195°, 190° or lower when you resealed the foil and did the 4-hour hold? Did you hold it in a hot box or cooler?

I'm of the opinion that it was overcooked. I didn't take the temp before re-wrapping, but it was after about 30 minutes. So, quite possible that it kept cooking some. It was held in an oven that may have received some heat from the lower oven. Hard to say. I wish that I took some pictures, but other things were on my mind. It didn't seem to matter to much judging by how little leftovers there were.

Thanks to all for the replies. Being a member here is always a good experience.

Back