MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Griffin’s Old Virginia Red Barbecue Sauce

Often referred to by writers of his era as a "free man of color," Griffin became a very famous barbecue cook and restaurateur in Richmond, Virginia in the early to mid 1800s.

Sometime before 1853 Griffin had opened his own restaurant and by 1860, he had revitalized an entire area of the city. In fact, an Island in the James River was called "Griffin Island" for several decades. By the 1880's, people in Richmond longed for Griffin's barbecued shotes (~50 pound hogs), barbecued squirrels, and Brunswick stew.

Here is a Virginia red barbecue sauce inspired by Griffin. It's made old school style much like the sauces I used to see served at roadside barbecue stands when I was a kid but updated slightly for our modern palates. It also contains only ingredients that are known to have been used by Virginians up to the 1800's.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup water
2 TBS yellow mustard
1.5 TBS Kosher salt
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS paprika (don't use a spicy hot variety; I prefer a bright red Spanish paprika)
1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp fine ground black pepper
½ tsp ground sage
½ tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp cumin
Dash ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Add ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer stirring often. Let sauce simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, remove from heat, cool, and serve. Store in the refrigerator. It gets better after a couple of days too.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 05-27-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Bludawg

Thanks Bo! Copied and on the list Sounds like a winner if it is as good as SA it will have a place on the shelf in the pantry.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

As I said earlier, THANKS! My July 4th party is coming up and I always try to introduce a new sauce or two to the guests. This year I'm behind on getting organized; this one will definitely be made in mid-June for a July 4th introduction to the masses...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the post. I'm bookmarking this one to give it a shot.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
deguerre

OK. This has GOT to be good so I'm going to try this but taking it one step further to be even more authentic, I'm going to use Jefferson's cousin Mary Randolph's recipe for the ketchup...

The original recipe from Mary Randolph:

Gather a peck of tomatas, pick out the stems , and wash them; put them on the fire without water, sprinkle on a few spoonsful of salt, let them boil steadily an hour, stirring them frequently, strain them through a colander, and then through a sieve; put the liquid on the fire with half a pint of chopped onions, a quarter of an ounce of mace broke into small pieces, and if not sufficiently salt, add a little more, one tablespoonful of whole black pepper, boil all together until just enough to fill two bottles; cork it tight. –make it in August.

It ain't today's ketchup, that's for sure...

http://www.monticello.org/site/blog-...-tomata-catsup

Thanks Shizzle!

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Last edited by deguerre; 05-27-2014 at 01:12 PM..
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
gtr

I'm loving this Bo! I'll be making some tonight. Doing some PP this weekend - already have the SA made and this will be a great additional choice - thanks for sharing the fruits of your research with us!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks joe! It's on the list to make!
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Gotta ask: what is the "SA" some of you are referring to?

I'm a bit of a sauce rookie . . .
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
landarc

He stole my red sauce recipe!

Thanks for the share Boshiz...tells me my red sauce is pretty close

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Gotta ask: what is the "SA" some of you are referring to?

I'm a bit of a sauce rookie . . .
Shack Attack, I'm guessing -
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Thanks Bo! Copied and on the list Sounds like a winner if it is as good as SA it will have a place on the shelf in the pantry.
Shack sauce is a pretty high bar. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
OK. This has GOT to be good so I'm going to try this but taking it one step further to be even more authentic, I'm going to use Jefferson's cousin Mary Randolph's recipe for the ketchup...

Gather a peck of tomatas, pick out the stems , and wash them; put them on the fire without water, sprinkle on a few spoonsful of salt, let them boil steadily an hour, stirring them frequently, strain them through a colander, and then through a sieve; put the liquid on the fire with half a pint of chopped onions, a quarter of an ounce of mace broke into small pieces, and if not sufficiently salt, add a little more, one tablespoonful of whole black pepper, boil all together until just enough to fill two bottles; cork it tight. –make it in August.

Thanks Shizzle!

That should be a lot of fun. Let us know how it goes!

Old 05-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
He stole my red sauce recipe!

Thanks for the share Boshiz...tells me my red sauce is pretty close
Great minds!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

SHOWBOAT!

Actually I eagerly await hearing how it turns out. Do we have to wait 'til August?

bo and guerry, thanks to you both for posting those recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post

Thanks Shizzle!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
SLO-DAWG
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

thanks for the recipe I'm going to make this tonite
SLO-DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbecue sauce, BBQ Sauce, sauce, VA BBQ, Virginia, Virginia barbecue, Virginia BBQ