MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
BlackDogBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 1st GBA competition could use some advise,

I am entering a Georgia BBQ Association event for the first time ( actually first time entering any BBQ Contest) down on Jekyll Island and was wondering if anyone had any advice about strategy for the two different turn in times for each meat category. It looks like the GBA sets things up to turn in your preliminary boston butt, pork loin, and ribs and then, if you make it to the finals, you turn in a second entry of which category you made the cut in. Problem being the second turn in time is 2-3 hours after the first so how do you keep loin and ribs hot (internal temp must stay above 140) without over cooking or do you cook double the meat and just stagger the times in hopes you make it to the finals or have I completely misinterpreted the rules? Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
BlackDogBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

You can approach it in one of 3 ways-

1. Basically cook two contests' worth of meat. You will need the equipment to do so, the money, the seasonings, foil, and most of all, energy. Start a second round of meat 2-3 hours (whatever the length is between prelim and finals) after the first round.

Lots of leftovers, lots of prep, you will stay very busy.

2. Cook 2 contests' worth of meat, but cook it all at the same time, holding the second round in a Cambro/Cooler. Probably some efficiency savings as far as prep and energy used on your part. Still need a cooker capable of handling the quantity.

3. Cook 1 contest worth of meat, hope for the best, use leftovers for finals. One way to look at it is that if you make finals, you're guaranteed 3rd place....and you only cooked one round and only have 1/2 of the expenses.

The loin is probably going to suffer the most going with option 3.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

yep that about sums it up.

First time out I would just cook enough for the first round and not worry about finals. Do your best to not wreck everything for the first round and if you make finals put together a box of leftovers.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

First time out, I would recommend you concentrate on cooking for the preliminary rounds like Dawgphan suggested. Be sure you cook enough to build a second box from leftovers if you do make finals. Once you get the timing down for prelims, it will be a lot easier to stagger you cooking to have fresh product for finals.

I look forward to meeting you at Jekyll. I you have any other questions about GBA, let me know.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
BlackDogBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks a lot y'all for taking the time to help. It was definitely needed. Pigs on Fire I appreciate the three pronged reply. I'm not sure which route I will take yet. I am crazy enough to try option one though I know the wisdom lies in two or three. Jim look us up when you get there. My name is Heath Chambless we will be in a black rv with a Red Stump's smoker. Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
BlackDogBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I got another question if y'all don't mind: Do you inject your pork loin, brine it, or neither ?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

You can do either/or or both.

The biggest thing...don't cook it past 138°F internal. Make sure it cooks evenly, too. You don't want some of it hitting 138° and some of it less cooked or more cooked.

When it hits, take it off, wrap it and put it in the Cambro until you're ready to slice. Practice it beforehand.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
BlackDogBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks a lot P.O.F. I will definitely be watching the thermometer closely on the loin. I'm going to do a trial run on loins and ribs this weekend in preperation for the Jekyll comp. Thanks again for the advice.