You have $2,000. Which.....

jeffturnerjr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Smoker are you most likely to purchase?
I'm set on these two smokers:

1.) Jambo Backyard ($1,900)
2.) Yoder 640 w/ Comp Cart. ($1,980 from atbbq)

I know...two completely diff styles.
Here are my goals and purposes:

- competition cooking
- Occasional catering
- backyard enjoyment

Pro's of Yoder:
- Consistency with temp
- excellent design and materials used.
- thin blue smoke consistency
- can move around easily at comps.
- great tasting cue with ease of use
- can enjoy family time on Weekends when cooking, don't have to constantly check on fire.

Cons of Yoder
- have to rely on power source
- have to rely on Yoder Company if something goes wrong with mechanics.

Pro's of Jambo
- excellent quality of steel, design, etc.
- traditional wood cooking
- Guys are winning with these in comps
- double insulated firebox for wood cooking
- get to "play" with fire

Con's of a jambo
- not as "consistent" as pellet cooking but has its own consistency...still have to be up all night feeding fire at comps.

Both cookers have about 1000 sq in of cooking space, once you add second shelf to Yoder.

If you've cooked on either or just want to offer your advice, I look forward to hearing anything. Thank you for anything you have to offer, be it questions, rants, etc,

I've seem them, but I don't have experience with Yoder, I just don't find pellet cooking appealing (maybe one day). :icon_blush:

If you're set on Jambo... check on lead times.. Last I read here, was that quotes were now many months out possibly tied to Jambo now having a BBQ restaurant.

Regardless of manufacturer, if you really plan to use for comps, mobility goes a long way in making it an enoyable weekend....

Thanks for feedback. I should have noted the time to get a jambo as a con as well.
If I got a jambo backyard, I def would want to try and make it more mobile, maybe front casters...

I had a friend steer me over to the pitmaker sniper models but know nothing about them, if people have any good reviews on them.

I'd build a UDS

Just kidding, I'd most likely go with the Yoder, although I'd really just buy a Rec-Tec.

Then I'd have a grand for meat.

Given the two choices I'd go Jambo.

You are not interested in any of the insulated Cabinet smokers? -Yoder and Jambo on opposite ends of Spectrum with Cabinet Smokers right in the Middle..... Easy, Consistent temps but no electric required and no fire tending with Heavier Smoke(abilility) closer to a stick burner.:mrgreen:

Disclaimer: I sell Yoder's but have cooked on just about everything and will always give an honest opinion.

The Yoder's versatility (low and slow or hot and fast, plus grilling and baking if you ever want to) plus it's portability makes it the choice for me. Also, if you want you can spend $1,795 by skipping the stainless shelves and going with the wire shelving. Plus, there is a very short wait.

Been researching Peoria custom cooker 24x48 byc and they appear the be top notch. Been in email talks Sarah Beth at pcc and have only received top notch quick response in regards to the byc cooker.

Just another option I believe the price starts at 1793.00

Since you only asked for the choice between the 2, I will save my opinions of other possibilities (hurts to to not say anything). If you can wait out the lead time, get the Jambo!

Been researching Peoria custom cooker 24x48 byc and they appear the be top notch. Been in email talks Sarah Beth at pcc and have only received top notch quick response in regards to the byc cooker.

Just another option I believe the price starts at 1793.00

Never heard of Peoria cookers. Reverse flow or standard offset?

Since you only asked for the choice between the 2, I will save my opinions of other possibilities (hurts to to not say anything). If you can wait out the lead time, get the Jambo!

HA! Would love to hear your other thoughts...

My jambo backyard is a tank. I really dont have anything bad to say about it. I would suggest adding a small removable upper grate that gives a little more room at comps. I cook all 4 categories on mine and it us tight, but manageable.

JM2C I have never cooked on either one and have never seen a Yoder except in Pics. If I had that budget to pay with and given your requirements I'd go with either a LonestarGrilz cabinet or a Pit maker Vault. Keep your cash in TX.

I'd go with the yoder. I've used a Lang for the last few years, and I love the idea of a set it and forget it smoker so I don't have to stay up and tend the fire all night.

JM2C I have never cooked on either one and have never seen a Yoder except in Pics. If I had that budget to pay with and given your requirements I'd go with either a LonestarGrilz cabinet or a Pit maker Vault. Keep your cash in TX.

I like the idea of keeping my cash in TX! What offset would you recommend?

I have no experience with either, if it were me I'd do the jambo, less things to break.

If these are the only 2 you are considering, I would have to go with the Yoder for its ability to do overnight cooks unattended, unless you have another smoker capable of that. This is an important feature in my eyes because I end up starting cooks around midnight for lunch the next day pretty often.

Meadow Creek smokers look pretty fine to me... that's where my 2G's would go if I had 'em.

This has been great, thank you for your feedback. Where I was landing was trying to decide between so e if the best products between the two types of cooking I was looking into, offset vs. pellet poopers.

I've had some PM's and I'm really interested now in Lonestar Grillz product. Anyone have any experience with their 20 or 24'' offset horizontal cookers?

Thank you for your input...

Back