• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Holding Temperature?

cbuck1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I swear I read in one of these threads about a holding temperature for smoked meats that are ready but you want to leave them warm in the smoker without cooking them any more. But for the life of me I can't find it again. Can anyone enlighten me?

If the meat is ready, but the crowd is not, what temperature can I lower my smoker to in order to hold the meat warm without drying it out? I'm not a big fan of foiling, but should I make an exception in this case?

Thanks,

CB

I might be wrong, but I believe the meat's ok as long as it stays over 140. It might be 160, but I think it's 140. You can hold big cuts in an insulated cooler for several hours before the temp drops that low, but I've never held meat in any of my small)smokers for long. Wrapping in foil will hold heat in best, but I guess you could use whatever.

Take 'em off the smoker. Large cuts wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and/or foil and covered with towels will hold even in a crappy cooler literally for hours and still be too hot to handle w/o gloves. The minimum temp to keep food in safe zone was recently lowered to 135 degrees F. The danger zone is from 40 degrees to 135 degrees. Always a good idea to verify food temp still in safe zone before serving.

yeah i foil all my big cuts and let them rest in a cooler for atleast an hr before sliceing or pulling

Back