Best Portable Pellet Grill

ktval

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi All,

I was looking for a recommendation on the best portable pellet smoker/grill. I am looking to do some tailgating this summer and my two units are way to big to take with me. Thanks for your input.

Seems to me the GMG Davy Crockett is the one that I see more owners rave about then any other current option on the market...

I have a dc and it works pretty good, but if I was buying a new today, I’d get the camp chef pursuit as its legs are a much, much better setup than the dc

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a dc and it works pretty good, but if I was buying a new today, I’d get the camp chef pursuit as its legs are a much, much better setup than the dc

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh that’s right... forgot about that one. New to the market, but I change my vote... the Pursuit looks awesome! :)

The new GMG Prime models are just starting to hit some dealer's, the Davy Crockett Prime Wi-Fi with the stainless hood looks like a sweet little unit for the price.

I have a GMG with Wi-Fi and it's the bee's knee's if your beat down tired and want to watch what's cooking from the phone app darn thing works flawlessly for monitoring grill and internal probe temps and you can change whatever you want right from the phone holding down a chair.

For pure portability you can't beat the DC. I find the other ones with folding legs are still much larger than the DC when folded.

For pure portability you can't beat the DC. I find the other ones with folding legs are still much larger than the DC when folded.

They are, and if you want to use it on a table top or tailgate of a truck the DC is a better choice.

To me, the design of the Davy Crocket is wonderful. Legs fold up as a handle...super idea!

Agreed with the DC. I think it's a perfect tailgater for $329 and you can't beat the GMG warranty. The Pursuit looks nice too and a bit bigger, but more expensive.

The Traeger Ranger is also out there, but to me it's useless. Looks like they lowered the price on them by $100 to $299/$399 to be more competitive, but that's a lot of coin to shell out to still only cook one rack of ribs or some burgers. 184cu/in is tiny! I can't imagine they are selling too many of em, hence the price drop. I like the self contained idea, just not big enough.

I had the Rec-Tec Mini that I liked so much that I moved up to the Bull. The Mini has been upgraded to the RT-340.

how many of the others besides the DC run on 12V ? that's a huge plus for tailgating !

All the new Prime series from GMG are running 12vdc systems, even the big boys are going to be portable or capable of running off grid.

Be nice if you were dry camping and didn't want to run a genset overnight while a butt or brisket is cooking.

I have had a DC for years, and it has been a great little cooker. Don't be fooled by the size, though. It is heavy as hell (especially when you are as lazy as I am and tend to always have a hopper full of pellets), and trying to flip the legs in or out without a second person is a nightmare. The advantage to the relative girth is that I have had it tossed around many times and it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' so to speak.

So it would seam like the dc is the way to go. Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to share there opinions.

I have had a DC for years, and it has been a great little cooker. Don't be fooled by the size, though. It is heavy as hell (especially when you are as lazy as I am and tend to always have a hopper full of pellets), and trying to flip the legs in or out without a second person is a nightmare. The advantage to the relative girth is that I have had it tossed around many times and it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' so to speak.

Agreed. It was horrible to lug around all over the place. I actually find my Bullseye to be more mobile than the DC was.

I was using the DC as my SCA contest steak cooker for a while and it took a dive a couple times thanks to the legs setup. Great little cooker, but just don't think it will be super mobile. (easily anyways)

Agreed with the DC. I think it's a perfect tailgater for $329 and you can't beat the GMG warranty. The Pursuit looks nice too and a bit bigger, but more expensive.

The Traeger Ranger is also out there, but to me it's useless. Looks like they lowered the price on them by $100 to $299/$399 to be more competitive, but that's a lot of coin to shell out to still only cook one rack of ribs or some burgers. 184cu/in is tiny! I can't imagine they are selling too many of em, hence the price drop. I like the self contained idea, just not big enough.

Davy Crockett is only about 20% bigger at 219 sq inches.

DC owners. All of a sudden it takes forever to get to 150. Clean it between cooks,, changed pellets changed pellet brands etc etc. Blows smoke. After about 30 minutes it will get to 240 which is probably much hotter On known hot spot. Any suggestions for pilot error before I call customer service. In my experience anything electronic mechanical and/or instrumental is my fault not the machine.
I don’t use WiFi. I Just punch the buttons up and down.

When I first got it it got to temp quickly and would get to 425 real quickly. Also seems to get hotter quicker with lid open.

Weather permitting Im going to clean it again, empty hopper etc. then I’ll pay attention and time the heating. I’d just like to have all my notes in order prior to calling CS and perhaps avoid a “well duh” moment

Last edited:
Back