• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Recommendations for a kindling cracker

InThePitBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I never have enough kindling left this time of year, between the wood stove and stick burners the baskets I fill up off the main splitter are gone after the holidays come and go.

I'd like something that can be mounted to an oak stump and be able to use it inside the garage when the snow is falling so I don't have to wheel out the big gas splitter.

Any pro's or con's to the large and small variations I see on Amazon? This one looks interesting as it can split four ways but I'm wondering if it needs alot more hammer to get it done?

Most of my oak splits are 4" diameter or less helps get them to dry a little faster.
FMNgM4tl.jpg

I use the smaller one from Northern Tools
with a 4 lb dead blow hammer.
I like 'em just fine.

That's a single blade type? I wonder if that may be better overall when you get a stubborn piece or something with a knot in it?

I have a single blade kindling cracker and a 4 lbs hammer. Works really. I think the 4 blade version would make really small splits. Maybe not depending on the size you start with.

I got the smaller one for Christmas and thus far I really like it.

With my RA I can't swing a full sized sledge and this made splitting down a split to the size I want pretty quick and easy, unless you hit a knot. Those aren't so much fun.

I need to get me one of these too , what to guys attach them to a bigger log and will it screw into it ?

Set the unit in a cardboard box before placing on stump. That catches your splits so you don't have to bend over and pick them all up. :thumb:

I've had the larger one for about a year now, and it's been perfect (even w/o a stump underneath) for making splits.

A good-weighted hammer (and a pair of work gloves) are must-haves.

I can usually quickly "refill" the space under my offset with splits for continued smoking in about 15-20 minutes. Much better than trying to do it with an axe/hatchet!

Set the unit in a cardboard box before placing on stump. That catches your splits so you don't have to bend over and pick them all up. :thumb:

I was gonna slip a couple old boat trailer tires over it on the stump when I mount it.

Been using a hatchet that way for awhile but my eye's are so bad these days I miss with it half the time.

I’ve had the smaller kindling kracher for several years. At that time, it was the only one. If I was buying now, I’d get the larger one. It would take a larger split and do a good job with it. I don’t think I’d like a four way. I think it would need more hammer power.

I have the larger one which is great. Definitely mount it on a stump so the splits fall. (If it's on the ground, it's kind of a pain because you have to lift up the cracker to retrieve the splits often.)

Looks like the difference between the small and large is a 6.5" opening versus 9" for the XL size, yea that's probably worth the few bucks to go bigger should work the same on smaller pieces I would think.

My Wife got me the Kindle Jack for Valentine's Day (she's the greatest!). The one I had worked but it seemed like it took a lot more effort than what I've been seeing from the Kindling Cracker videos. We're sending it back and getting a Kindling Cracker King.

Northern Tool has the original and the XL on sale right now, this is the first time I've seen the XL model marked down it's $99.00 plus free shipping in the lower 48.

I ordered one last week, when it comes in I'll get it on an oak stump and post some pics.

A few years ago I would have bought one, but now that I heat the house w/ bricks and use my offset maybe twice/yr, I have no need.

Still want one though.

Back