MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
Daddio BBQ
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Anthony
Default Assassin 48 build

Put in a delayed order for new Assassin 48 and many thanks to Peter B, BBQ Freak and TXNewbie for answering all my questions in other thread. My current build is listed below but if there is something you think I will regret not doing differently please let me know.

Assassin 48in grill
Two Firebox doors on sides
V-pan only
Split Charcoal and Ash Pans
Left and Right smoke stacks
SS rod bottom grate in 2 pieces
SS expanded metal top grate
12" aluminum diamond plate front shelf
custom cover

I did confirm with Jeff with the SS rod grate the charcoal pan can be moved to the top. That pushed me to the split pan set up as I am thinking I can put one charcoal pan at the top one in the middle and have very easy 3-4 zone setup. I am also thinking will be easier to control the heat under the V-pan as I can use a "donut" method and while I may have to refuel I know the fire stay under the solid part of the pan and I won't have to move the meat around.
Daddio BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #2
Peter B
On the road to being a farker

I like that build a lot. I thought about the split ash pan and charcoal grates too and kind of regret not doing it. You will love the split SS rod cooking grates.

Congrats. Now the hard part is waiting.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Peter B
On the road to being a farker

It sounds like you will need to get your vpan cut in half. There is the normal charcoal grate slot and just above that is the vpan slot. If you want to place the split charcoal grates on different levels then you will only be able to cover the lower charcoal grate and you will only be able to fit half a vpan to do it.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Daddio BBQ
Got Wood.

Even harder to wait as it's negative 5 outside right now and not even thinking of grilling right now.

That was my first thought on the Vpan as well but longer I thought about it don't think I will need the two levels when using Vpan that will be my smoking set up. The two levels will give me a searing side a direct but lower temp side and the middle for indirect. Plus I figured if in a year I figure I was wrong and want to split the Vpan grinder should do that quick enough.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Daddio BBQ
Got Wood.

Question for you Assassin owners. I was watching some BBQ Freak videos while waiting for my delay build to start and was surprised how close the lid thermometer was to the Guru. Can I trust the lid thermometer on the Assassin? With the split pan setup I would put a thermometer on each side since it will be dual zone for most cooks. I was planning on just using probes but if I can trust the lid thermometer that is two extra probes for meat

Old 02-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #6
TXNewbie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddio BBQ View Post
Question for you Assassin owners. I was watching some BBQ Freak videos while waiting for my delay build to start and was surprised how close the lid thermometer was to the Guru. Can I trust the lid thermometer on the Assassin? With the split pan setup I would put a thermometer on each side since it will be dual zone for most cooks. I was planning on just using probes but if I can trust the lid thermometer that is two extra probes for meat
I had dual lit thermometers in mine (I say "had" as I just sold it today!) and when compared to my thermoworks grill mounted probes they were very accurate.
TXNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote