• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to get a more flavorful crust on a steak?

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Guys,

I think I do quite well with steaks. Like most of you, I do a reverse sear (kettle/Slow N Sear), and the results are consistently good. My crowd thinks I'm a steak expert. But I want a little more flavor in the crust/sear.

I generally keep it simple. S&P, but occasionally I like Montreal. I use clarified butter for the sear. I go all out on the searing coals--often 2 full chimneys of fresh coals--extreme heat is not a problem.

I like what I do. Just searching for any possible way to go from great to perfect. Any tips on taking the flavor over the top? I wonder if I'm getting it too hot for searing? Is that even possible?

I used to put on all kinds of spices before grilling steaks. I have come to appreciate the results of a good reverse seared rib-eye on the BGE with just S&P. If we do anything, it is after the fact, during the rest period. We really like compound butters for flavor, but don't mess with my crust!:boxing:

More than one way to skin a cat but here's the easiest IMHO. Carne Crosta rub from Oakridge bbq and hot griddle or CI pan. That's it. Besides giving your steaks an amazing crust that rub is off the hook good. Only rub that I actually substitute time to time on beef other just S&P which a steak just needs.

Sounds like you got it down. Personally, I think if you really want to improve on your current reverse sear, consider working in a flat searing surface like ssv3 is recommending. I use a soapstone with ghee in my Kamado Joe and it takes steaks to a whole new level. Lots of folks use CI as well.

Turbo steak. Half full or so chimney of screaming hot coals. Veg oil coating and your favorite seasoning or rub. This is SPOG. Flip often to make those flames mad . . . fiery, crusty goodness outside and red tenderness inside. Second best way to cook a steak, first being a CI skillet, and topped with some butter.

Attachments

• 20170728_191457.jpg
    20170728_191457.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 285
More than one way to skin a cat but here's the easiest IMHO. Carne Crosta rub from Oakridge bbq and hot griddle or CI pan. That's it. Besides giving your steaks an amazing crust that rub is off the hook good. Only rub that I actually substitute time to time on beef other just S&P which a steak just needs.

What Sako said. Oakridge Carne Crosta is fantastic! It seems a little pricey, until you try it (and I'm a frugal guy)!

Oakridge Carne Crosta is superb. I'm really into compound rubs for beef, and use Carne Crosta in combination with seasoning salt, seasoned pepper, which gives thicker cuts of beef, particularly tri tip a great crust after I give it a good sear after an indirect cook. Here's a few examples:

Before:

6.18%202017%20APL%20Tri%20Tip%205_zpsteyxs3hr.jpg

After:

6.18%202017%20APL%20Tri%20Tip%2010_zpsp3qgm9e8.jpg

6.18%202017%20APL%20Tri%20Tip%2012_zpshwqqtjg7.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oakridge Carne Crosta is superb. I'm really into compound rubs for beef, and use Carne Crosta in combination with seasoning salt, seasoned pepper, which gives thicker cuts of beef, particularly tri tip a great crust after I give it a good sear after an indirect cook.

+1, I Totally agree.....

OK--gonna get some Carne Crosta. I haven't tried the CI before, even tho I've known it's a viable option. I think I've just been wanting to do it all 100% grill just for purity's sake. Thanks guys.

Just make sure you follow the instructions for the Carne Crosta. You need a fatty steak or additional oil and a VERY high heat sear to achieve the best results with it.

Absolutely agree - Carne Crosta just rocks on seared meat.

I'm with you. Works good on the grill too.

XdlDPix.jpg

Back