Brisket help - a little dry?

@smoke ninja,

good post, and great pics!
can you post a link to your brisket technique again. I haven't seen it in a while but I thought you recommended wrapping after 4 hours?

FYI, just looked up my notes on Franklin’s timing.

Brisket prep starts at 8:00 am, and they hit the smoke at 10:00 am. They get wrapped about 9 hours later at 7:00 pm and then at some point they move from the smoker to a holding oven. Serving starts at 11:00 am so 27 hours after prep starts and a full 25 hours after they hit the heat. You can make good brisket in under 10 hours, but if you want world class great brisket, I don’t think there is a better way than giving it time.

I don’t have any info on what time temp and humidity he is using in the holding ovens. If anyone knows, please share!

I may have mentioned 4-6 hrs but its probably more like 6-8 hrs. I've never been able to really pin down in a post a precise method. Here's 2 examples.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219158

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247399

May have to try that sometime on smaller cooks. I dont mind getting up early and finishing briskets by 1 or 2 PM, but by the time I give it a hold its dinner time and sometimes I want it for lunch. Running the Shirley for 5 or 6 hours in the evening and then finishing lower in the oven with a hold would be perfect for serving lunch without having to vacuum seal and reheat.

May have to try that sometime on smaller cooks. I dont mind getting up early and finishing briskets by 1 or 2 PM, but by the time I give it a hold its dinner time and sometimes I want it for lunch. Running the Shirley for 5 or 6 hours in the evening and then finishing lower in the oven with a hold would be perfect for serving lunch without having to vacuum seal and reheat.

Yup that was my goal to start. I don't like to eat brisket for dinner, it's too heavy. Staying up all night or getting up at 4am wasn't cutting it either. I always say the best method is one that works but also one you can enjoy.

Here's another example post as well as a poll on brisket holding with some good advice.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232173

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254798

At the end of the day do what works for you.

I am certainly no expert, but I have made smoked some very good brisket in 6-7 hours. As has been mentioned, cooking hotter with give you a smaller window to pull it at the right time, but there are several ways to get there. Says this guy with only one brisket pic....

Attachments

• 20170701_150559.jpg
    20170701_150559.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I am certainly no expert, but I have made smoked some very good brisket in 6-7 hours. As has been mentioned, cooking hotter with give you a smaller window to pull it at the right time, but there are several ways to get there. Says this guy with only one brisket post....

It definitely can be done very well hot and fast. Depending on timing and desired serving time I will cook them fast as well (too old for all nighters these days!). Heck, my braised briskets are usually closer to 5 hours. I just think my absolute best results on the smoker have come from longer cooks with a long hold. Plus I think it is easier and more consistent. Also, a long hold is probably more forgiving of a beginner who pulls a bit too early.

It definitely can be done very well hot and fast. Depending on timing and desired serving time I will cook them fast as well (too old for all nighters these days!). Heck, my braised briskets are usually closer to 5 hours. I just think my absolute best results on the smoker have come from longer cooks with a long hold. Plus I think it is easier and more consistent. Also, a long hold is probably more forgiving of a beginner who pulls a bit too early.

All true statements. My setup does not lend itself very well to all-night cooks unattended, and Im too old to stay up all night. I prefer to get an early start and get things going, and adjust as necessary for serving time, using a longer hold if necessary.

Most of you guys are BBQ posers who wouldn't know a properly cooked brisket if it smacked you in the face. I on the other hand nail them time after time with one arm tied behind my back. Here is one of my typical perfectly smoked briskies! Eat your heart out guys.

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 36
Back