MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #16
nachos4life
Take a breath!

I cook hundreds of pounds of briskets on my Shirley all the time. They are always juicy. The main thing you need to do is just be patient and wait until that thing probes tender. probably more tender than you many think. Then let it rest.

We cook hot. we spritz. We wrap in foil. We add a baste liquid to the foil. But all that isn't necessary, its just what we do.

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #17
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
I will guarantee that op uses the method m-fine suggested and the brisket comes out even worse.

Imho

Here is a video that has tested it
https://youtu.be/DK2ugDR-G2I
LOL! Have you EVER cooked ANYTHING yourself? It seems your cooking experience is limited to watching YouTube.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #18
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
LOL! Have you EVER cooked ANYTHING yourself? It seems your cooking experience is limited to watching YouTube.
Lol I've posted more brisket pics than you ever have, since your brisket pic post rate is zero.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #19
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I disagree with both EL and M-fine. Neither one knows anything about brisket (joking).

KISS. Keep doing what you're doing but maybe wrap a bit earlier and pull closer to 210/and/or when its probing easier than you likley think. It took me awhile to get accustomed to how buttery you want it to probe, i felt like i was overcooking it. Then rest 1-hr+.

You'll get it. report back..
CentralOhioBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #20
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Try this. Start the cook hotter, 275-300 for full packers. Get to the 175-180 range like you did, and then wrap (or not, but it may help to keep the variables to a minimum until you figure it out). Now lower the smoker temp to 225-250 ish and let the connective tissues break down without over heating and drying the meat. Forget pulling temp. You pull based on feel only. Then give it a good long rest in a cooler or holding oven. It will continue to tenderize. If anything, a longer cook/hold with a lower max internal temperature will give you a juicier product than rushing it and pulling at higher temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
M-fine... Stop giving away ninja's brisket secrets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That is really close to the ninja method. I wonder if he's a member of the league of shadows.

Quote:
I will guarantee that op uses the method m-fine suggested and the brisket comes out even worse.

Imho

Here is a video that has tested it
https://youtu.be/DK2ugDR-G2I
Fun experiment. Seems to make sense one was wrapped too early the other too late. The goldilocks brisket won?

M-fine laid out a very successful brisket technique. I know because it's close to what I do. One of the keys is to finish at a lower temp. This gives a large window for being perfect. It also prevents the perfectly done brisket from carrying over while holding. The guy in the video didn't vent so off a hot pit and into a cooler overcooked it and it dried out. I finish so low that the paper wrapped brisket goes straight into the hold and doesn't carryover.

The hold is the second part. These briskets finish in the 190s and then get held still wrapped for about about 4 hrs or more. This makes for a very tender and moist brisket. The added benefit is timing is easy with hours of cushion time.

Oh and I'm not scared to show my flat

Old 06-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #21
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

@smoke ninja,

good post, and great pics!
can you post a link to your brisket technique again. I haven't seen it in a while but I thought you recommended wrapping after 4 hours?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #22
smoke ninja

Quote:
@smoke ninja,

good post, and great pics!
can you post a link to your brisket technique again. I haven't seen it in a while but I thought you recommended wrapping after 4 hours?
I may have mentioned 4-6 hrs but its probably more like 6-8 hrs. I've never been able to really pin down in a post a precise method. Here's 2 examples.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=219158

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=247399

Old 06-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

FYI, just looked up my notes on Franklin’s timing.

Brisket prep starts at 8:00 am, and they hit the smoke at 10:00 am. They get wrapped about 9 hours later at 7:00 pm and then at some point they move from the smoker to a holding oven. Serving starts at 11:00 am so 27 hours after prep starts and a full 25 hours after they hit the heat. You can make good brisket in under 10 hours, but if you want world class great brisket, I don’t think there is a better way than giving it time.

I don’t have any info on what time temp and humidity he is using in the holding ovens. If anyone knows, please share!

Old 06-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #24
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I may have mentioned 4-6 hrs but its probably more like 6-8 hrs. I've never been able to really pin down in a post a precise method. Here's 2 examples.

May have to try that sometime on smaller cooks. I dont mind getting up early and finishing briskets by 1 or 2 PM, but by the time I give it a hold its dinner time and sometimes I want it for lunch. Running the Shirley for 5 or 6 hours in the evening and then finishing lower in the oven with a hold would be perfect for serving lunch without having to vacuum seal and reheat.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #25
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post

Great idea using a turkey roaster as a holding oven! Is this the same one? https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Roaster...turkey+roaster
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #26
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
May have to try that sometime on smaller cooks. I dont mind getting up early and finishing briskets by 1 or 2 PM, but by the time I give it a hold its dinner time and sometimes I want it for lunch. Running the Shirley for 5 or 6 hours in the evening and then finishing lower in the oven with a hold would be perfect for serving lunch without having to vacuum seal and reheat.

Yup that was my goal to start. I don't like to eat brisket for dinner, it's too heavy. Staying up all night or getting up at 4am wasn't cutting it either. I always say the best method is one that works but also one you can enjoy.

Here's another example post as well as a poll on brisket holding with some good advice.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=232173

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=254798

At the end of the day do what works for you.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #27
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

I am certainly no expert, but I have made smoked some very good brisket in 6-7 hours. As has been mentioned, cooking hotter with give you a smaller window to pull it at the right time, but there are several ways to get there. Says this guy with only one brisket pic....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170701_150559.jpg (26.1 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Steve S; 06-06-2018 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: adding a photo
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #28
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
Great idea using a turkey roaster as a holding oven! Is this the same one? https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Roaster...turkey+roaster
Yes that's it. The analog dial is key. It's good for holding and finishing small amounts of Q of any type even ribs and chicken. I even use it to slow cook and hold prime rib. Very handy tool. Pitmaster T dubbed it "the big lie"

Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #29
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I am certainly no expert, but I have made smoked some very good brisket in 6-7 hours. As has been mentioned, cooking hotter with give you a smaller window to pull it at the right time, but there are several ways to get there. Says this guy with only one brisket post....
It definitely can be done very well hot and fast. Depending on timing and desired serving time I will cook them fast as well (too old for all nighters these days!). Heck, my braised briskets are usually closer to 5 hours. I just think my absolute best results on the smoker have come from longer cooks with a long hold. Plus I think it is easier and more consistent. Also, a long hold is probably more forgiving of a beginner who pulls a bit too early.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #30
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
It definitely can be done very well hot and fast. Depending on timing and desired serving time I will cook them fast as well (too old for all nighters these days!). Heck, my braised briskets are usually closer to 5 hours. I just think my absolute best results on the smoker have come from longer cooks with a long hold. Plus I think it is easier and more consistent. Also, a long hold is probably more forgiving of a beginner who pulls a bit too early.
All true statements. My setup does not lend itself very well to all-night cooks unattended, and Im too old to stay up all night. I prefer to get an early start and get things going, and adjust as necessary for serving time, using a longer hold if necessary.