Cost of 1/2 cord 250 too much for oak and cherry?

grizzly0925

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I live in NJ. Looking to get some wood to store while my cooker is being built. I had a resource quoting me for a half cord of about 75 splits of oak and 75 splits of cherry for 250. Should I try to look else where or do you think this would be a fair price?

That's a bit on the high end for a 1/2 cord of wood, but if it's well cured and it's exactly the species of wood they claim it is, then it's not terrible of a price. You can always keep looking and stick with these guys if you can't find anything better.

Looking on Craigslist it seems like you might get better deals if you're willing to drive into PA. I found 1 full cord of cherry or $280 in Warminster, PA.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/d/warminster-cherry-firewood/7285805683.html

I guess it depends on your location and availability of wood. Here in NW Pennsylvania, I can get a face cord (which is 1/3 of a full cord) for $90. I get a face cord each of oak, hickory, and cherry for $270, which makes a full cord. Wood is pretty easy to find around here.

I paid $485 for my last cord of almond in So Cal, wood’s plentiful here but expensive like everything else. I wouldn’t scoff at $250 for a half cord of well-seasoned hardwood - I’ve been quoted as much as $400 for a half cord of oak.

Seems fair to me. We have plenty of oak around here but not much else.

$230 for 1/2 cord of oak in eastern Nebraska, $300 for hickory, pecan and cherry, $360 for apple. Very good quality of wood and can trust this place regarding exact varieties. This is you loading into your pickup...$75 for delivery.

I spent $112 last November on a variety of pecan, oak, cherry, apple and hickory and after 5 cooks still have well over 1/2 left. Haven't done any real long cooks yet, mostly 3-5 hour smoking time.

I paid $450 for a 1/4 cord of white oak and 1/4 cord of cherry, neither is very plentiful here in Eastern MA.

Your price seems great! Lots of cherry in PA though.

Chris

Just be careful about bringing wood across certain state lines. You can face big fines depending on your state laws.

Fantastic point and something I had not considered. I looked into it and it looks like transferring firewood INTO New Jersey from PA isn't an issue, though the reverse will not be allowed (ie from NJ INTO PA). I did notice a caveat talking about Ash firewood, but according to the diagram posted you should be good to go.

https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/

Been paying $200 a cord green and 220-230 dried red oak and some ash in Northern Mass south of Keene, NH. Actually ordered 2 cord the last week of January for 200 and got 1 cord in April and the second cord in Mid December but was dry and no markup for season wood. It was all red oak. My issue is that do not have a chipper and do not smoke a lot. That could change as recently retired. Have a low end propane cabinet and starting the cook at around 222 and about 4-5 hours in the thing goes to 250-260, but is fine since butts take so long to cook.

I got quotes of $200 just for delivery and stacking a full cord (plus the price of the wood) here in So Cal.

250 for the wood, delivery and labor is pretty damn fair.

Back