MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #91
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

And that's what I will do at a comp we judge. I learned from Rookie Dave that there are times you can say hi, there are times you should just stay away, and there are times you'll be too busy to talk!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #92
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it was best explained to us during the judges meeting at the Blue Springs Blaze-Off this year. In respect to hanging out in the competition area on turn-in day, as long as you're walking you're just an observer. As soon as you stop to talk you're fraternizing. As much as I like to cuss and discuss things with my fellow meat artists, when I'm judging I just stay away completely on Saturday.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #93
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1912 View Post
Judging gear? what is judging gear? Teeth? lol

MOST CBJs can be distinguished by the hat or vest or jacket or whatever they put all of their comp pins on. Also, most KCBS CBJs wear their burgandy-colored CBJ shirt or their royal blue Master Barbecue Judge shirt. Almost ALL judges also wear a "Judge" badge hung around their neck or pinned onto their clothes. ALL of these items are considered "Judging gear".

Just saying...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #94
mossyoak
Found some matches.

Default Judging Class

I am headed to my first KCBS judging class here in Omaha and I am pretty excited about it. I have helped at a few competitions and what to see the other side of how the judging side works from the tastes to the presentation of boxes. For those of you who have taken these classes, are the worth the money?

Thanks,
Mossyoak
mossyoak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #95
bingo1912
Take a breath!

I really enjoy being a judge, the only drawback is the judges meeting which turns out to be more like the judges class all over again, however it is necessary because there are a lot of judges that haven't judged for a while so the refresher can be a good thing.
I am originally took the judging class so I would know what the judges were looking for, now I know how far I have to go as far as my BBQ goes. It has been very enlightening for me, as well as rewarding. I would say the class is very much worth it.
Good luck and welcome.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #96
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak View Post
For those of you who have taken these classes, are the worth the money?
Thanks,
Mossyoak
Yes, I think that the class is worth the money. That being said, the class will only give you an overview of the rules & the judging process.
Your real learning will start at your first contest after you've finished scoring the chickie, or what ever else might be the first catagory that day. Then you will hear the other judges at your table talk quietly amongst themselves about what you have just tasted: "What did you think about #2 ..... #4 tasted salty and raw ..... #3 was one of the best that I've ever had ....." and so on. Listen to what the others are saying. You might dissagree but you will have some idea of how the other judges scored each entry & why.
For my first 4 or 5 contests I told my Table Captain that I was a new judge & asked if he / she would keep an eye on my scores & let me know if I was way off from the other judges. I didn't want to be giving 6s & 7s if the others were giving 8s & 9s. Or vice versa.
Jump in there & judge a few comps. Have fun. Come out to a few comps on Friday evening, walk up to a team & tell them that you're a new judge who wants to learn all that you can about BBQ.
95% of the teams that I know will tell you to come on in, sit down, have a beer & ask away.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #97
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Worth it???

It's well worth the money! You'll learn a lot about BBQ, taste some of the best BBQ on the planet, meet new friends, experience places you've never been to and it includes the $35 membership for KCBS...You can't go wrong.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #98
mossyoak
Found some matches.

I will be judging my first KCBS event in a month and I am looking forward to it. I have friends who will be competing and enjoy being with them on a regular basis.

How to act really concerned me UNTIL I found out I can still hang with them UNTIL it was time to judge and then I have to be a judge and nothing more or less. It is an honor to be able to taste all the great BBQ out there and give the score in which I think they have earned...

WISH ME LUCK.
Mossyoak - Camo Cowboys BBQ - KCBS CBJ & CTC #61534 - FEC 100 - Smokin' Tex Smoker
mossyoak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #99
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Another "worth it" aspect of judging is that you usually get to take home your "left-overs" from judging. Six slices of brisket with only a bite or two out of each equates to enough left to add to stif-fry and serve my wife and myself for dinner last night. I also used the left over pulled-pork to make pork-fried rice. The left-over chicken and ribs are nice snack/lunch items too.

Just saying...

Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #100
bbqbrad
On the road to being a farker

This is a segment from a post on my BBQ blog from a few years ago at a small cometiton that was local...

"
The guy who won was next to me. Swept all categories. I tried his ribs and was impressed. Good baby backs. He was giving away free samples to everyone, trying to drum up business for his catering company. But the thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is when I overheard a conversation between him and a guy in a blue shirt with something about a church on the front. Before the judging, the guy tasted a rib, was enjoying it, and told the cook that he was a judge.

Hmmmmm…..

I’m not saying that there was cheating. I’m NOT saying that the cook led a judge. But all of us cooks had our team number on the ground next to our cook site (he was 10). And this judge went there and tried the product. Then he went back to the judge’s area and saw the boxes with the number 10 written on top of the boxes in sharpie. And he definitely saw his new friend’s box with the ribs he liked. And he saw his new friend’s entire box with the other two boxes right next to it, also with the number 10 on it. I don’t think that one judge can change a winner or a loser.

Oops…. I forgot. Number 10 won ribs by 1 point. One point difference between first and second. I didn’t count how many other blue shirts with something about a church on the front there were.

I will say that that looks real suspicious."

Just my opinion. Never put yourself in a iffy situation.
hotforteacherbbq.com
[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow Thermapen Owner[/COLOR]
bbqbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #101
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbrad View Post
This is a segment from a post on my BBQ blog from a few years ago at a small cometiton that was local...

"
The guy who won was next to me. Swept all categories. I tried his ribs and was impressed. Good baby backs. He was giving away free samples to everyone, trying to drum up business for his catering company. But the thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is when I overheard a conversation between him and a guy in a blue shirt with something about a church on the front. Before the judging, the guy tasted a rib, was enjoying it, and told the cook that he was a judge.

Hmmmmm…..

I’m not saying that there was cheating. I’m NOT saying that the cook led a judge. But all of us cooks had our team number on the ground next to our cook site (he was 10). And this judge went there and tried the product. Then he went back to the judge’s area and saw the boxes with the number 10 written on top of the boxes in sharpie. And he definitely saw his new friend’s box with the ribs he liked. And he saw his new friend’s entire box with the other two boxes right next to it, also with the number 10 on it. I don’t think that one judge can change a winner or a loser.

Oops…. I forgot. Number 10 won ribs by 1 point. One point difference between first and second. I didn’t count how many other blue shirts with something about a church on the front there were.

In KCBS and MBN "blind" judging, we (the judges) won't see "Number 10" on a box. The numbers are changed for the explicit purpose that NO judge would be able to identify a blind box entry. I agree that the judge should NOT taste or otherwise fraternize with a team on turn-in day (before judging), but seeing the turn-in boxes with numbers on them doesn't equate with what is actually seen by the judges during judging.

I definitely agree: NEVER put yourself in an iffy situation!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #102
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbrad View Post

"

Hmmmmm…..

Now that does leave a bad taste in my mouth! Not only because of the suspicion cast, but because of the way it puts churches in a bad light.,,,,,

Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #103
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1912 View Post
Now that does leave a bad taste in my mouth! Not only because of the suspicion cast, but because of the way it puts churches in a bad light.,,,,,

I've NEVER seen a KCBS or MBN contest where the judges wore shirts from a church! Must have been "non-sanctioned". In that case, who knows what rules they are using!!! Perfect case for ALWAYS competing in "sanctioned" contests!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #104
Smok'n Dawg
Found some matches.

This very interesting as I am taking a KCBS judging class in January and never really thought about all the stuff written here. I definitely will be a topic that I would like to talk about in the class.

Steve
Smok'n Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #105
jraben
Got rid of the matchlight.

I've judged over 15 events, and cooked my first one this past weekend...
jraben is offline   Reply With Quote