MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Default Watching BBQ Pitmasters and got a question

This may have been asked but I'll put it out there...

Watching the show with my girl and she asked the question: how can the people using the electronic devices and smoker be consider on the same level as those burning just sticks?

My response was: it's all legal in competitions.

Her response: isn't maintaining fire and smoke part of being a true bbq'er? That's like using an oven with a smoke generator.

I got nothing. How say you?
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

why dont you find an old woodburning oven and tell her that you will be getting rid of the modern kitchen stove so she can cook on the same level that great grandmothers did............

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Ok, now that we have that response out of the way, I would just offer that that tool alone doesn't make the bbq, but it is what the cook does.
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
bluzieq
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

Cheapbeer that's funnier than hell.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Different tools can be used to do the same job I s'pose... that said, I like fire.

Edit- sounds like your lady friend has a clue!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

as a cooker, i think anybody who doesn't know how to burn sticks would agree it's a true art and real skill. wish i could do it.

as a competitor, i'd ask who's the fool, the guy who goes to the hotel room while the food cooks itself or the guy who gets to tend his fire all night.

well, the answer is, it's all in what you LIKE to do.

nothing more, nothing less.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

The cooker doesn't matter. It's all about how much brown sugar, honey, butter, and other crap you can pack into the foil pouch while it steams to perfection.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

She's right - there is something fun about watching fire management especially when it goes awry (not that I am unsympathetic). With all the electronics these comps sometimes seem to hinge on whether they brought spare batteries or a long enough extension cord. I do not argue that either way you had better know your Q.

But on another note.....Can't remember where I saw this but I have to agree - the current format sucks. Compared to watching a real BBQ competition as in the original program now Pitmasters has turned into a sad made up drama reality TV series. They've lost me.
jimstocks53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
The cooker doesn't matter. It's all about how much brown sugar, honey, butter, and other crap you can pack into the foil pouch while it steams to perfection.
do you compete?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstocks53 View Post
She's right - there is something fun about watching fire management especially when it goes awry (not that I am unsympathetic). With all the electronics these comps sometimes seem to hinge on whether they brought spare batteries or a long enough extension cord. I do not argue that either way you had better know your Q.

But on another note.....Can't remember where I saw this but I have to agree - the current format sucks. Compared to watching a real BBQ competition as in the original program now Pitmasters has turned into a sad made up drama reality TV series. They've lost me.
Couldn't agree more. I guess nowadays drama sells, but I ain't buyin'.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
do you compete?
I have, and have won a few trophies and money, but it just isn't my thing. I know that's what it takes to win competition style BBQ, but I don't have to agree with it or like cooking that way.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzieq View Post
Cheapbeer that's funnier than hell.
What sparked that response was remembering my late Uncle Bill buying a wood stove for their cabin and my Aunt being dissatisfied and saying there was no way in hell she would cook on that thing.
I would like to have a stick burner to play with when I have time to monitor it but when I am busy the guru comes out. The exception being that I trust my uds to maintain temps for extended periods.
There is just something drawing me in that direction......... Perhaps a yearning for simplicity.....

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I have, and have won a few trophies and money, but it just isn't my thing. I know that's what it takes to win competition style BBQ, but I don't have to agree with it or like cooking that way.
fair enough. maybe it is what it takes, maybe it's not. but no need to poo poo it just because it's not your thing.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
fair enough. maybe it is what it takes, maybe it's not. but no need to poo poo it just because it's not your thing.
Well, to be fair, I should have used a sarcasm tag or smiley, since my comment was largely tongue-in-cheek.

I've cooked competition style many times, and sure, it's good, but that alone doesn't define good BBQ. But the original topic was about the "reality" show, and that's what they do, so I was more or less poking fun.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Well, to be fair, I should have used a sarcasm tag or smiley, since my comment was largely tongue-in-cheek.

I've cooked competition style many times, and sure, it's good, but that alone doesn't define good BBQ. But the original topic was about the "reality" show, and that's what they do, so I was more or less poking fun.

looked, but there ain't a handshake smiley.