MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #46
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would have preferred this happened immediately but I understand points made last night. I'm just happen it finally got done. It's being done now anyway with butts being filleted out and muscles held together by the thinnest of pieces of meat. There was no point whatsoever in treating pork any differently than any other category. Even brisket can be trimmed down to small, quick cook pieces. For the record, I was not really in favor of requiring starting with five pounds because the point was made that unless you shop at places like Sam's or RD, large butts are hard to find. But to get it done, I was fine with it.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #47
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
So now we have three short-cook categories. Switch over to steak and everybody can get some sleep.
Whatever, I am turning in carpaccio of deckle. The part up near the ribeye is really tender raw.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #48
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I would have preferred this happened immediately but I understand points made last night. I'm just happen it finally got done. It's being done now anyway with butts being filleted out and muscles held together by the thinnest of pieces of meat. There was no point whatsoever in treating pork any differently than any other category. Even brisket can be trimmed down to small, quick cook pieces. For the record, I was not really in favor of requiring starting with five pounds because the point was made that unless you shop at places like Sam's or RD, large butts are hard to find. But to get it done, I was fine with it.
I assume that you appreciate the fact that, with this rule change, you have eliminated all possibilities of enforcement of the cut of pork being cooked. Once you inspect a 5 pound butt, the cook can then part it out and substitute pork collar, pork tenderloin and any other cut of pork and it will be a pi$$ing contest between the rep and the cook over it and the cook will win as it was inspected by the contest folks. At least this year, there is a semblance of conformance by leaving it attached by the slimmest of threads to the honest to God pork butt or shoulder.

You got to realize that the pork rule evolved over the last 15 to 20 years because of the honest, law abiding cooks and now we take away all requirements and open the door again. This is full circle and déjà vu.

Thanks
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #49
Jeff_in_KC

I think you're assuming a lot with that. Cooks can get away with pretty much the same thing you're talking about that now if they're inclined to do so.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #50
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Locks are designed to keep honest people honest. Remove the lock and even the honest person will open the door and look in.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #51
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
So now we have three short-cook categories. Switch over to steak and everybody can get some sleep.
yup, and not compete in BBQ.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #52
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I think you're assuming a lot with that. Cooks can get away with pretty much the same thing you're talking about that now if they're inclined to do so.
maybe, but now it's allowed.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #53
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
4 Hour brisket wins. Just sayin'...No need to be there on Friday at all now.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #54
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
4 Hour brisket wins. Just sayin'...No need to be there on Friday at all now.
That sounds like a good thing.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #55
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

How did the vote go?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #56
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
I assume that you appreciate the fact that, with this rule change, you have eliminated all possibilities of enforcement of the cut of pork being cooked. Once you inspect a 5 pound butt, the cook can then part it out and substitute pork collar, pork tenderloin and any other cut of pork and it will be a pi$$ing contest between the rep and the cook over it and the cook will win as it was inspected by the contest folks. At least this year, there is a semblance of conformance by leaving it attached by the slimmest of threads to the honest to God pork butt or shoulder.

You got to realize that the pork rule evolved over the last 15 to 20 years because of the honest, law abiding cooks and now we take away all requirements and open the door again. This is full circle and déjà vu.

Thanks
Are you kidding me? Reps can't tell the difference between the cut of a tenderloin and any other cut of pork? Yes, we can, and we can tell if you have parted your money muscle and put it back on the pit. We cook. We know the difference.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #57
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
There was no point whatsoever in treating pork any differently than any other category.
Then why is there a weight limit and a requirement to bring a whole one. There is neither in the other three categories.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #58
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Then why is there a weight limit and a requirement to bring a whole one. There is neither in the other three categories.
Ray, I saw no need of having the five pound aspect of the rule either and at one point in the discussions, I retracted my second on this motion. But it seemed that if it wasn't in there, it might not pass at all so I re-submitted my second on the motion without it being amended. I call that compromise, something everyone has criticized the board for not doing in the past.
KCBS Member #14287

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #59
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
How did the vote go?
I believe it was unanimous but I could be mistaken. I don't have notes with me.
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by Jeff_in_KC; 02-17-2013 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Typo on spelling.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #60
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
Are you kidding me? Reps can't tell the difference between the cut of a tenderloin and any other cut of pork? Yes, we can, and we can tell if you have parted your money muscle and put it back on the pit. We cook. We know the difference.
First wouldnt you have to have a table captain or judge question it.Knowing how busy the judging tent is I cant believe that the reps would look at each box unless it was questioned?
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote