St. Elmo reprise

QN

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Earlier in November I was in Indianapolis for work and went to St. Elmo. Wow! Great shrimp cocktail and steak! Brought home some of their rub and cocktail sauce to do my own. Found a great porterhouse to try it on and gulf shrimp.
Turned out very good. Their cocktail sauce is HOT, but we like it that way.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I usually make my own cocktail sauce and make it crazy strong but that stuff was even too much for me. Ive only been once so maybe it was an off night for my tongue. Im kicking myself for not getting a steak from there though.....that looks great!

• Thanks
Reactions: QN
That cocktail sauce is something else. I always stop by the outpost in the airport to grab a beer at the end of my work week (en route home), and I always get a chuckle when I introduce colleagues to it. Their face is priceless.

• Thanks
St. Elmo’s is an Indianapolis institution! Love the cocktail sauce. Tried making my own version by dumping a whole jar of horseradish in cocktail sauce. Wasn’t the same. I suspect it requires fresh horseradish.

• Thanks
Lived in Indy for six years. St. Elmo Steakhouse is a treasure. My Uncle used to eat their when he was in Naval training during WW2. True classic steakhouse experience.

• Thanks
St. Elmo’s is an Indianapolis institution! Love the cocktail sauce. Tried making my own version by dumping a whole jar of horseradish in cocktail sauce. Wasn’t the same. I suspect it requires fresh horseradish.

Fresh horseradish (this is where the flavor comes from)
Inglehoffer horseradish cream (careful, this stuff is HOT)
Ketchup
Dijon mustard (very little)

Will get you close.

They're definitely known for their Shrimp. I like a bit of horseradish, but you just about have to be careful with this stuff. Now I want some.....

They sell that cocktail sauce at Kroger here. I've never been to St Elmos though. But they have several places all over town (a few less now since lockdown) that I have been to.

Jason

Looks good, interesting cocktail

The stores around here carried the cocktail sauce for a few months then quit. I really liked it. It's the only one I have ever tried that I had to add ketchup to if I ate very much.

That is a phenomenal steak house.
the most AMAZING shrimp cocktail with a HUGE kick of horseradish in it. LOVE the filet and potatoes.

If your ever in Lexington KY try Melones steakhouse the original one at one time (years... back) was voted one of the top 10 in the US.

• Thanks
Back