MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #8881
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Giddyup! Sounds cool

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #8882
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I didn't read before posting asked a similar question. I don't know how to delete a posts, mods?

Last edited by TealStBBQKing; 06-27-2018 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Duplicate question
TealStBBQKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #8883
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not in anyway an endorsement of Barrel House Cookers, but I found this video interesting starting at the 11:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkaRTwb0iHw
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #8884
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Her voice scared the dogs. Stopped watching after I heard about the begging from Barrel House.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #8885
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

I didn't see any cooker in that video. I saw a fine piece of rump roast towards the end that I'd like to "cook" though. If you know what I mean.

Someone actually put that video in WP a while back.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-30-2018, 05:34 AM   #8886
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

I've got two ~7# butts on the PBC for a big party this afternoon. Eating at 4 and hoping to keep these babies uncovered the whole cook. I'll try to post some pron when they come off and are shredded. This is my first time smoking two butts wish me luck!

Old 06-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #8887
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Okay. Good luck!
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #8888
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Good luck!
LloydQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #8889
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Best pulled pork I've done yet! 8h47min and tender as can be. I also did some chicken wings but they were gone before I could take a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180630_211332.jpg (59.5 KB, 161 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #8890
Bob C Cue

Did 4 racks of ribs on the PBC after St Louis Bash! Everyone seemed to enjoy them and said how good they were. Toast even said now knows why people really like the PBC!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast

Old 07-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #8891
jgentworth
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : jg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Brisket cook today. Put it on at 7:30 a.m. Wrapped in foil around noon and done at 2 p.m. In the cooler for about 4 hours. Glad I got done early because a storm blew up a couple hours after I took off the brisket. Lots of hail lots of rain very windy conditions. It blew my patio umbrella over my house and into my neighbor's front yard.

Bob, I'm hoping to do my first brisket here in a couple weeks. I've got my charcoal stack to produce consistent long lower temp burns. Switched over to vertical double stacks of Kingsford Long-Burning briquettes. My main concern at this point is the size of the brisket. Are guys hanging a full packer brisket? I would really prefer to put it on the rack I think, but not sure size wise if it's feasible. I guess just depends on the size of the brisket.

Any suggestions/tips would be great.
jgentworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #8892
Ertothel
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentworth View Post
Bob, I'm hoping to do my first brisket here in a couple weeks. I've got my charcoal stack to produce consistent long lower temp burns. Switched over to vertical double stacks of Kingsford Long-Burning briquettes. My main concern at this point is the size of the brisket. Are guys hanging a full packer brisket? I would really prefer to put it on the rack I think, but not sure size wise if it's feasible. I guess just depends on the size of the brisket.

Yes, hang it. Just double hook (at the point end) with one the bottom hook going through in the opposite direction so it hangs from the tip of the top hook. If your brisket is really long, you can hook it on both ends so that it makes a U shape between the rebar, otherwise the end of the flat may be a little charred from being too close to the charcoal. I hang mine until it hits the stall, then wrap in BP and finish in the oven at 275 so I can use the PB for ribs or chicken.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #8893
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

From my understanding of how Noah and AmazingRibs.com says the Pit Barrel works is by hanging the meat much more surface interacts with said heat so it looks faster. Laying the brisket on a side would block the top half from the heat and slow cooking down. I've only down three so far hang until after the stall and either wrap or keep naked but move to grate so the meat doesn't pull through the hook and fall

Old 07-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #8894
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Looks awesome Jeff!
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #8895
Bob C Cue

Quote:

I think most folks hang until they get the bark they are looking for and then wrap in foil or butcher paper and finish on the grate. Just follow the double hook method that Noah shows in the video. I usually cook 12-14 lb briskets and have not had trouble with them being too long and touching the coals.

For a brisket that will touch the coals some folks will hang the brisket with hooks in the top and bottom so it hangs like a hammock.

And certainly there is nothing wrong with cooking on the grate the whole time. I just think hanging the food cooks it more evenly and you don't have to worry about it sticking to the grate.

Best of luck. If you can get a hold of Oakridge Black Ops Brisket Rub I would definitely give it a try.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it