• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The *OFFICIAL* Throwdown Photography Tips Thread

Dang. My 2 year old Canon S100 decided that the lens doesn't want to work anymore and just 5 days before the extended warranty ran out (good thing I entered the Dagwood TD). :bounce:

So the Geek Squad just called to tell me that they can't fix it but would exchange it or give me store credit (not sure how much).

Since they don't make the S100 I figure a comparable replacement would be the S110 or S120 or I can upgrade to a G16 or G1. :noidea:

Anybody have an opinion or advice on which way I should go or is there a different point and shoot I should consider.

Have you thought about an entry level rebel? On full auto(green) Its a nice point and shoot with probably more versatility than either one mentioned. On Manual, you can have infinitely more control if and when you want it.

Even the low end rebels are great cameras. The trick isn't how nice the body is, it's how nice the lens is. I spend way more for good glass than I do for bigger chips. Now a days, the chips are all too big for practical applications, ESP web. Whatever you buy, don't get hung up on megapixel size. Anything over 10-12 is more than you'll probably need.

Thanks Shagdog, at some point I probably will buy a rebel but right now I like something that easily fits into my pocket. The S series is really compact and the G series is a little bigger but still compact enough to fit in my pocket.

Yea, sorry. I don't know anything about point and shoot. I have a friend in the business who has a G and really likes it though.

Back