Looking for a chicken thigh recipe for my Traeger

slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
The Dark Bark
Good morning all.

I have a few pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I brined last night. Now I am looking for a recipe to use with my Traeger. I've cooked chicken several times and I can never get them moist. Mind you, they're not that bad, but nowhere near the level that I make my other meats.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Here's a simple one - rub it lightly with mayonnaise, then add your favorite rub - just keep in mind to compensate for the brine so it's not too salty. Heat the smoker up to 350F and cook skin side up for 35-40 minutes or so. Post some pics afterwards!

I put rub under the skin and on top of the skin, 275° until they hit 165° internally. Always very moist with crispy skin on my Humphrey's. The juice runs down your chin when you bite into it.

Maybe review your brine if you aren't getting great results.

BTW - I made a great Apricot bbq sauce for poultry. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients
1/2 tsp olive oil
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup apricot jam
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp molasses
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp white ground pepper more or less for heat
1 tsp salt

Instructions
Add small amount of oil, tomato paste, garlic and onion powders, both kinds of paprika, and cumin to a small sauce pan and saute on medium heat for five minutes until spices are toasted and fragrant.
Stir in the water, apple cider vinegar, apricot jam, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and salt and pepper.
On medium high heat simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced by half and thickened.
Cool and store in an airtight container in fridge until ready to use.

Notes
Use chunky or smooth apricot jam, and either leave pieces in, or puree once the sauce has simmered all the way.
Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Adjust the pepper amount up or down depending on heat desired. Swapping for cayenne pepper will increase spiciness.
Will store for up to one month in fridge, covered.

Chicken thighs, boneless or bone-in, are very forgiving due to their high fat content. I'm wondering if you were overcooking them?

Regardless, medium to medium high indirect heat always has come through for me. Here's a recipe that works great on boneless thighs, even though it's for kabobs. We use it as often for whole boneless pieces as well as kabobs:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132558

Chicken thighs, boneless or bone-in, are very forgiving due to their high fat content. I'm wondering if you were overcooking them?

Regardless, medium to medium high indirect heat always has come through for me. Here's a recipe that works great on boneless thighs, even though it's for kabobs. We use it as often for whole boneless pieces as well as kabobs:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132558

those were my thoughts as well - overcook.

From my last smoke log for my teriyaki thighs (excluding ingredients and prep):

• Smoked at 275° for ~30 minutes skin up to absorb some smoke

• Placed chicken skin down into casserole dish with some of my teriyaki marinade and foil'd. Jacked up the temp to 300° for ~1.25 hours. Note: the casserole dish was already in the smoker heating alongside the chicken. I didn't want to shock the chicken with something cold.

• Removed chicken, placed skin up, and cranked up to 350 for 10 minutes to crisp the skin

Souvlaki - simple, easy, tasty, fun!

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/greek-chicken-souvlaki-recipe-tzatziki/

Or Chef John's Turkish chicken kebabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhZ-5y8eTZk

Y4DBXBkl.jpg

Maybe it's something in your brine curing the thighs? I let some wings brine for too long once and they were almost like chicken jerky.
I like a little Dale's sauce and worchestchire on mine.

My suggestion. Go simple - hit 'em with a little Oakridge Smokey Chili Lime and a touch of pecan & cherry smoke. Less is sometimes more...

Back