German Apple Pancake

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Not BBQ, but at least it was baked in a cast iron skillet. No prep pics, but the steps are fairly simple. Recipe is from Le Creuset, given to me when I purchased one of their pieces at an outlet store.

Preheat oven to 475F

Core, peel and finely slice 2 or 3 apples. Recipe states Golden Delicious or Granny Smith. I used Gala.

Saute apples in a fry pan in 2 Tbsp butter until tender, but still somewhat crisp.

Place a 9 or 10" CI skillet into the oven to preheat.

In a blender or with a mixer, combine:

1 cup AP Flour
6 Eggs
1 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Grated Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Cinnamon (my addition)

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in the CI skillet. When melted, pour the apples into the hot CI skillet, then pour the batter over it.

Bake 15 minutes at 475F

Lower temp to 375F and bake for an additional 10 minutes

The pancake puffs up and climbs the sides of the pan, which makes for a great presentation. Dust with Powdered Sugar, serve with Maple Syrup.

Could you make this out on a grill? Perhaps, but temp adjustment on a Kamado might be challenging. I simply used my oven this morning.

Some pics -

4NTa2Cb.jpg

22JnpN0.jpg

CdjkBg0.jpg

Served with warmed Maple Syrup -

Dea6dbd.jpg

0zj4v4w.jpg

Delicious! An easy to prepare breakfast or brunch dish, makes use of a few apples when you're not in the mood for making apple pie.

Regards,
-lunchman

It is that time of year for everything apple. It's one of the perks of Fall, and you nailed it!

Not much of a pancake eater, but that does look inviting.

Chris

I’m trying to lose weight. You ain’t helping’.

The cinnamon add was a great call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not much of a sweets or dessert person but I'd love some of that Dom. :hungry:

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Made one for breakfast this morning. Good stuff!

This is legit how my grandma used to make "apple cake" for me, and I still follow the same recipe three decades later. Throw some walnuts (or pecans) in it ;)

Back