Thanks! I'm definitely going to pick up a set to play with. I've only had my PBC for 10 days, but I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I'm a complete noob, but the first chicken I cooked on it was far and away the best I have ever cooked. Same for the pork shoulder I did this past weekend. It almost feels like cheating!

Sometimes I just go out there and pretend I'm checking temps and fiddling with air vents so it seems like I'm actually adding value to the cook (I'm not!). The PBC makes even the greenest greenhorn like me look like a seasoned bbq veteran.

I'm definitely a PBC convert. :grin:

If you have problems locating the skewers try these guys. For the money they make great skewers. You may have to bend the ends into a hook shape like I did but it's not a big deal.

http://www.kabobmaster.com/product-category/skewers/

Cleaning grates

Please tell me this is a brand new, never been used grate. If not, how do you get your grates this clean?

In regards to baby backs, you can significantly reduce your cooking time if you cut them first then cook. Hour to hour and a half maximum. No wrapping or anything obviously.

vK3cQDRh.jpg

Grand Final Day cook

I was asked about the lower grate mounts I added to my PBC. Very simple, just used a plump line and drilled a hole in line with the existing grate mounts 10cm above the basket. Used a 40mm M6 stainless steel bolt with a washer on both sides. Very handy when you want to reverse sear.
Next plan is to add some closeable vents at the top sides as an alternative to cracking the lid when I want higher temps. I could go simply with some magnets to cover them, or use some aluminium sheet and bolts to make slide vents if I want to get fancy.
For Grand Final Day, kind of like Super Bowl Downunder I ran up some baby back ribs. Scratch made rub and sauce. Went down very well, I only managed a quick photo of the sole survivor!

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 388
For me, getting the basket to a level for searing was simply using these stainless steel turnbuckles to support a lower grate. It's the no-drilling alternative. Use 3 of them and just place on the existing grate studs.
https://tinyurl.com/y8clyc5k

Also, to avoid having to tighten and loosen etc. the vent for varied temp control, I've found this magnet sheet to be the perfect solution:
https://tinyurl.com/ybhkzsa7

Need help to run hot

I've read people run at around 275F consistently. I have trouble keeping mine run that hot.
The 3 times I tried, it runs near 220F or below if I keep the led on for a while. Even it peaked as high as 400F at one point, it came down to 220F or so.

I tried to crack it open a little, it'll shoot over 350F and keep on rising. I end up kept open/close the led all day to keep it in 275-325F range.
I also tried setting the intake from 1/4 to 1/2 open but still not helping.
I use chimney starter and wait until all charcoal lit but not all ash over. Most bottom ones are. Top few weren't but all in flame.

First 2 times I used Kingsford blue and the last one Royal oak briquettes.

Any tips I can make it set and forget like most people able to?

I've read people run at around 275F consistently. I have trouble keeping mine run that hot.
The 3 times I tried, it runs near 220F or below if I keep the led on for a while. Even it peaked as high as 400F at one point, it came down to 220F or so.

I tried to crack it open a little, it'll shoot over 350F and keep on rising. I end up kept open/close the led all day to keep it in 275-325F range.
I also tried setting the intake from 1/4 to 1/2 open but still not helping.
I use chimney starter and wait until all charcoal lit but not all ash over. Most bottom ones are. Top few weren't but all in flame.

First 2 times I used Kingsford blue and the last one Royal oak briquettes.

Any tips I can make it set and forget like most people able to?

Make sure your coals in the chimney are all good and lit. Dump over the unlit in the PBC and let them run about 30-45 sec with the lid off. Then put your lid on and leave it for 15 min. Then put your meat in. See if that helps.
Also when you crack the lid, you don't have to crack it much for a 20-25° increase of temp...just lift one side up a little....see pic below.

Attachments

• attachment-17.jpg
    attachment-17.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 317
  • attachment-10.jpg
    attachment-10.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 316
Make sure your coals in the chimney are all good and lit.
yep. They were all lit like that.
Dump over the unlit in the PBC and let them run about 30-45 sec with the lid off. Then put your lid on and leave it for 15 min. Then put your meat in. See if that helps.
I leave the lid on running on "empty" for more than 15 min to stabilize before adding meat. Temp drop usually after meats are added.
Also when you crack the lid, you don't have to crack it much for a 20-25° increase of temp...just lift one side up a little....see pic below.
How do you lift it just a little. I put the hook came with PBC on the drum to lift the lid which make the temp shoot up over 400F. I tried slide the lid to the side but temp shoot up too.

Just bought a PBC and wondering what I should start with. Do you guys have any suggestions? Ribs? Pork? Brisket? I love all of them but I don't know what the best thing to start with is. Also, are there any things I need to watch out for?

Just bought a PBC and wondering what I should start with. Do you guys have any suggestions? Ribs? Pork? Brisket? I love all of them but I don't know what the best thing to start with is. Also, are there any things I need to watch out for?

Ribs and chicken turn out awesome. If you got the hanging grate then do a fatty too!! Post pics!

yep. They were all lit like that.

I leave the lid on running on "empty" for more than 15 min to stabilize before adding meat. Temp drop usually after meats are added.

How do you lift it just a little. I put the hook came with PBC on the drum to lift the lid which make the temp shoot up over 400F. I tried slide the lid to the side but temp shoot up too.

Viodea, welcome to the PBC club, and don't stress; you'll get it dialed in. Andrew's got you covered with the setup. As far as cracking the lid, some guys on here have used a paperclip to crack it. It shouldn't take much at all--I just make sure it's not seated and sealed when I crack it. Either way is fine, but I would not use the hook method you mentioned. I think that's too much.

And I generally only crack it for about 5 minutes. That's all it takes to make a significant increase in temp. Making sure the intake is clear is important. Some charcoal is crap, or moist or whatever. I assume you're storing your fuel somewhere out of the weather.

Last thing I'd wonder about is your thermometer. Do you trust it?

And if all else fails, PBC has super customer service. They know their stuff, and if they have any questions they just call Andrew or Sako or Bob or StLSportster for the PBC gospel.

... if all else fails, PBC has super customer service. They know their stuff, and if they have any questions they just call Andrew or Sako or Bob or StLSportster for the PBC gospel.

Yeah...right...Noah had Sako on speed dial until he just bought that Hunsaker....:loco:

Yeah...right...Noah had Sako on speed dial until he just bought that Hunsaker....:loco:

I'm not going anywhere because I bought the Hunsaker. :becky: PBC is gone but plan on business as usual on this thread. :nod:

Just a crazy day today.

I use a small square of folded aluminum foil to raise the lid up slightly in 1 spot- it gives it a bit more exhaust to help get the chicken up to boogie temp. If it's not enough, fold it again - it won't take much.

Ribs and chicken turn out awesome. If you got the hanging grate then do a fatty too!! Post pics!

Please forgive my lack of knowledge as I am new to the forum - but what's a fatty? The only thing I could find was a log of breakfast sausage covered in some type of rub. Is that it or did it start as that and morph into something else? Or is it something completely different?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge as I am new to the forum - but what's a fatty? The only thing I could find was a log of breakfast sausage covered in some type of rub. Is that it or did it start as that and morph into something else? Or is it something completely different?

You nailed it!

Yep. Buy a basic log of breakfast sausage...Jimmy Dean, Bob Evans, store brand. Doesn't matter. Original, sage, maple, spicy...whatever you like. Rub it with your basic rib rub. I prefer a little sweet rub. Others will do a spicy rub on a maple sausage....whatever you like.

Smoke it until the internal temp hits 175-185. Slice in rounds..enjoy.

Once you try that...then you can try other variations, including stuffing it with cheese, veggies...or even eggs and hash browns.

You can thank me later.

Yep. Buy a basic log of breakfast sausage...Jimmy Dean, Bob Evans, store brand. Doesn't matter. Original, sage, maple, spicy...whatever you like. Rub it with your basic rib rub. I prefer a little sweet rub. Others will do a spicy rub on a maple sausage....whatever you like.

Smoke it until the internal temp hits 175-185. Slice in rounds..enjoy.

Once you try that...then you can try other variations, including stuffing it with cheese, veggies...or even eggs and hash browns.

You can thank me later.

I'll thank you now! I had never even thought of that but it is quite logical and sounds amazing. That will definitely be part of my first cook.

Back