New Braunfels Bandera rebuild.

jaeger

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

First off, let me say that I am so stoked that I happened to come across this forum.

I am fairly new to bbq. It’s something my dad always did and tried to get me into but I had no interest in it. 3 years ago my dad suddenly died from a heart attack. At this point I started bbqing as a form of dealing with the feeling loss I’ve felt since his passing. My dad has two smokers, an old New Braunsfels Bendera smoker, and an offset he got right before he died, both were to be left to me but his will “got lost.” My step mother gave me the bandera and said my dad always wanted to rebuild it. So that is what I am on a mission to do.

Currently, I need legs or a stand, and a firebox. I am thinking of getting a lavalock firebox. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you everyone for your time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kindly,

Vincent Jaeger

Attachments

• 424DD127-FF2B-412B-9D0A-810C24D32CC4.jpg
    424DD127-FF2B-412B-9D0A-810C24D32CC4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 153
I don't have and advise for you restoration but I wanted to say welcome aboard!

Either that or look on craigslist and Google and find a small time welder fabricator that will build you one. either that or look on craigslist and Google and find a smalltime welder fabricator that will build you one

Charbroil and Dynaglo make cheap fireboxes but the Lavalock firebox is much nicer. However, you can get a brand new Bandera for a few bucks more than the Lavalock firebox. I guess it would depend on the Bandera you have. If it's the old one with heavier gauge steel it's worth it, but if it's after they switched to thin steel I'd get the cheaper firebox.

Charbroil and Dynaglo make cheap fireboxes but the Lavalock firebox is much nicer. However, you can get a brand new Bandera for a few bucks more than the Lavalock firebox. I guess it would depend on the Bandera you have. If it's the old one with heavier gauge steel it's worth it, but if it's after they switched to thin steel I'd get the cheaper firebox.

I believe it's an old one. It's super heavy, I couldn't move it by myself lol. Maybe I didn't have my muscles on that day. It's pretty solid. Can't wait to rebuild and try some mods out. Looks like it can cook a lot of food. Plus learning how to use an offset. And learning the art behind cooking on an offset as opposed to my WSM or my Traeger, will be awesome.

Back