"I Like Big Butts!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) Ends May 20th!

Cooked a butt this past Sat. I don't take great shots, but hey all that can happen is I earn another " 0 "! Full cook thread here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271727

My entry photo. Simple, yet delicious pulled pork.

IZXoh4p.jpg

Originally Posted by thirdeye
I think you answered as I was editing my question. And I think you might see where I'm going with this.... So, not to be a pain in the butt... here goes the follow-up. If I start with a big butt, remove the bone, discard most of the meat, flavor smoke the bone, then make soup with the bone... is this legal? Or do I have to cook the big butt whole, then do whatever I want with the meat or bone?

Originally Posted by Moose But to answer your question, yes. As long as there is pork butt that was either grilled or smoked per standard TD rules, you're good to go.

Not wanting to make it difficult on you but using just the bone doesn't sound like starting out as a pork butt.

That would be more like the "I've got a bone to pick!" or "Throw me a Bone!" Throwdown. Sorry about that.

All the same, I'd love to see the soup you'd make with the bone.

Well, I decided to leave some meat on the bone after all....:mrgreen: in fact I broke my big butt down into my favorite muscle groups, the money end and the horn end. Stay tuned... :rolleyes:

nYAEjae.jpg

It's time for the Throwdown entry post for my Pork Breakfast Griddle.... HERE is the link to my cooks thread in Q-Talk with all the details of my cook from start to finish. Here is the pork I had to work with for this throwdown.

c6cOOpF.jpg

And.... without further ado, here is my official "I Like Big Butts!" TD entry photo.

16YJv0Z.jpg

Last edited:
Wife requested Pernil a lo panameño for mother's day. However we didn't have an army to feed a pork leg was out and butts were in! Lucky me, an excuse to enter the thowdown.

Picked up a pack of boneless butts at Costco
BaYlZPTh.jpg

Into the marinade for a day. Think mojo, as there is lots of garlic and oregano and cumin, then add some onion and celery and most importantly some Culantro
QoSwge2h.jpg

And then the skies opened up and the original plan to cook it on a rotisserie over an open fire was nixed. Ended up cooking it on the gasser rotisserie. No pics as my hands were too full balancing the meat and an umbrella. :tsk:

Wife was very happy with the final result so that's all that matters. Took the leftover marinade and boiled it down to make a sauce. Was missing l'insalata russa y arroz con guandú y coco but we are watching our carbs these days so platted up with some fresh asparagus and cauliflower mash!
PygNJxFh.jpg

Please use this last photo for voting

Last edited:
***MODERATOR'S NOTE:***

Folks, PLEASE take the time to read the rules before posting in Throwdown entry threads. FattyMac's above post was neither identified as an entry, nor was an entry photo specified.

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] To enter a Throwdown you must clearly state at the BEGINNING of your post that you intend for your post to be an official entry into the Throwdown, and it must be clear enough that the moderator understands your intention. This can be as simple as saying, "Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown". Any post that does not state this intent at the beginning of their post, or does not say so in a clear enough manner for the moderator to understand WILL NOT be included in the Voting for that Throwdown.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]6. Only one picture from your entry can be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise the moderator will choose and the moderator’s decision is final.* You are allowed to enter more than once but only one of your entries can be used in the voting thread (for example if you want to enter a second dish that will replace your first one).** You must CLEARLY state which entry is the one you want to go to the vote thread. Otherwise the moderators will choose for you and that decision will be final. Finally, NO collage photos are allowed as entry photos, no exceptions![/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Throwdown rules can be found HERE:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown, the photo at the top.

Attachments

• 1CDB0077-5836-4797-A187-675526681ABC.jpg
    1CDB0077-5836-4797-A187-675526681ABC.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 8A8170C8-9DCE-47CC-9DD9-C87F7D9647AB.jpg
    8A8170C8-9DCE-47CC-9DD9-C87F7D9647AB.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 4FA5C087-81B8-4BAD-BD2D-0A4A62E0A636.jpg
    4FA5C087-81B8-4BAD-BD2D-0A4A62E0A636.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 697F033E-E2DA-4A10-A55A-CE36283C47E1.jpg
    697F033E-E2DA-4A10-A55A-CE36283C47E1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 47AFDA8E-64E7-493B-9DD5-9C83BE0D81F3.jpg
    47AFDA8E-64E7-493B-9DD5-9C83BE0D81F3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 102
This is my entry, first one ever, please be gentle, lol.... Little meat and 3 action. Pretty much perfect bbq plate for me. BTW, Keri's baked beans recipe with the apple pie filling is LEGIT!
a19eca4c7863579cbf2ae68fa35210e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I personally think that's a killer entry. I mean it. It stands out. :nod:

This is my entry, first one ever, please be gentle, lol.... Little meat and 3 action. Pretty much perfect bbq plate for me. BTW, Keri's baked beans recipe with the apple pie filling is LEGIT!

Sorry for quoting my own post but can't edit to add cook pics. I'd still like my first post and pic to be judged.

Cooked up the pork and all sides on Friday 5/17 for poker night. Pork, beans, slaw, potato salad, Texas red chili, and two sauces, Lexington style and Chris Lily's red all made from scratch.

Didn't take a lot of pics but here are a few. Beans could stand as a meal on their own! People were clamoring to eat so I didn't get the bowl of the pulled....

57efab781d8ccd0d6ad44865bfcb7be2.jpg
20ed1ca0640d3f5e18b88e8e05886d21.jpg

This is My Entry in the "I Like Big Butts" Throwdown...

Al Pastor tacos with pork butt meat marinated and cooked rotisserie style served on Homemade Corn Tortillas and accompanied by Ranch Beans made from bone and broth from the same pork butt:

Al%20Pastor%20Taco%20Shot%20Closeup2_zpsndoyvcos.jpg

Full cook thread HERE:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272211

Back