MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
souroull
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Vacuum sealing meat. Off smell when opened?

Took the plunge and got me vacuum sealer a couple of months ago. It works wonders with deli meats, sausages, cheeses, however i ran into a problem when vacuum packing meats.

The smell after opening the bag which was in the refrigerator for just 3 days after buying fresh was horrendous. It didn't go away even after the cook phase. Needless to say it was thrown out.

Some say to rinse/pat dry and let it air out right after removing the meat from the bag, however doing that and then having to re-season is a bummer.

Any tips on this? I did notice some liquid in the bag after taking it out, so maybe rinse and pat dry thoroughly before vacuum packing? I'm also dry brining before sealing.
souroull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Guessing the meat was spoiled or on the verge of spoiling before you put it in the bag. I don't really use vacuum sealing to extend the life of raw/pre cooked meat in the fridge, usually I'll buy meat, portion it out as necessary, and freeze immediately what I don't use.

What kind of meat was it? I never make a point to rinse and dry meat before vacuum sealing it, unless it's so wet it might cause problems getting a good seal on the bag.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

10 years ago I vacuum sealed a lot. Now I seldom vac anything. HD Freezer zip locks or double regular work great. In fact guessing a couple years since Ive vacuum sealed anything. . Stored this way chicken is the only thing I kind of need to watch a little closely.

Kind of depends on your situation. Beef, pork etc seem to last just as long.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
souroull
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Guessing the meat was spoiled or on the verge of spoiling before you put it in the bag. I don't really use vacuum sealing to extend the life of raw/pre cooked meat in the fridge, usually I'll buy meat, portion it out as necessary, and freeze immediately what I don't use.

What kind of meat was it? I never make a point to rinse and dry meat before vacuum sealing it, unless it's so wet it might cause problems getting a good seal on the bag.
Couldnt have been spoiled, was just bought and was there when the butcher pulled a fresh half pork out the fridge.. I let it sit sealed in the fridge for 2-3 days before freezing to let the dry brine work.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
sudsandswine

What other explanation would there be for a "horrendous" smell? I suppose "horrendous" is subjective but to me, "horrendous" is an intolerable smell and I've only ever had that from spoiled meat. If you're dry brining you are adding a preservative (salt) to the meat. I've dry brined hundreds of pounds of meat and never had a "horrendous" smell from doing so.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
16Adams

What’s exact temp in the part of fridge you’re using? My beer fridge varies dramatically from bottom shelf to mid to top. Like things thaw in three days in middle shelf and 7-10 days on bottom shelf.

One other suggestion. Advise your meat market what you’re about to do, give them the exact temp you’re working with and get their opinion. Take the off smelling protein with you.

Most times in life close enough is good enough. With food poisoning close enough will put people in the hospital

Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
souroull
Knows what a fatty is.

horrendous as in meat gone bad, sulfur smell

i dont immediately freeze to give the dry brine time to work, but upon opening the vacsealed pork, the smell was prevalent.

Maybe it wouldnt have smelled like that if i didnt vacseal, so wondering if i'm doing something wrong in that respect.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
sudsandswine

I frequently dry brine in vacuum sealed bags. I think 16Adams is on to something...parts of your fridge are warmer than you think.

I've had *light* sulfur smells when opening meat packaged by the store, most often pork butts, but it goes away and stays away with a rinse. And it wasn't what I'd call "horrendous", just a little funk from the bag. If it was still off even after cooking, guaranteed it was spoiled. Dry brining or vacuum sealing are going to help meat stay fresh longer, so the last variable is temperature. If it didn't smell when it went in the bag and it was "horrendous" when it came out....all signs point to...........

Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #9
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by souroull View Post
horrendous as in meat gone bad, sulfur smell

i dont immediately freeze to give the dry brine time to work, but upon opening the vacsealed pork, the smell was prevalent.

Maybe it wouldnt have smelled like that if i didnt vacseal, so wondering if i'm doing something wrong in that respect.

Pork will sometimes smell like you describe but usually goes away after about 10 minutes or if you rinse it. If the smell does not go away, it is spoiled. Doubt that it was anything you did. I'd lay the blame with the butcher. Just because you purchase from a butcher doesn't always mean that their meat is the freshest. Test this practice again, but meat from a different source.

Robert
Robert is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

If the butcher pulled a vac packed piece of pork out of the cooler, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is fresh. It could have come from a case that has been sitting in his cooler for a while. If the item (beef or pork) is opened from the original vac pack, it should still be ok even if it's past the expiration date, but will start to decline once the seal is broken. Cook, then freeze, or immediately freeze any unused portions to be safe.
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

I'm in the "It was on the verge of spoiled when you bought it" camp.
Unless your fridge is too warm, but then you should see other indications of that issue.
I don't see how the vac pack had anything to do with it.
I would let the butcher know and see if anyone else had the same issue.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
sickhick
Full Fledged Farker

You could have had a small hole or tear in your vac bag. Lots of consumer bags are 1mil thickness and can easily be compromised.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #13
dward51
Full Fledged Farker

And there is no telling how it was handled before your butcher received it. Could have been on a truck with a bad refer unit (no, not a 4:20 joke).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote