First Attempt at Kalua Pork (Heavy Pron)

SCBBQBill

Got Wood.
Hope you enjoy....

DSCN1334.jpg

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1339.jpg

DSCN1344.jpg

DSCN1347.jpg

DSCN1348.jpg

Spices used included fresh ginger, fresh garlic, Vidalia onion, fresh pineapple, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, wrapped in banana leaves and then Low/slow on WSM for 12hrs till they reached 195deg...Left one without the banana leaves and it came out every good too!
Reminded me of being stationed in Hawaii many years ago...

Stephan...Yes those were Banana leaves and no it doesn't let the meat get very mush smoke but they were very very tasty!!

Vet and Big Ace......Yes those are Jello shots...I have two separate full size fridges in my "man cave" (known as the garagemahal) and normally that fridge is full of "adult beverages" and the other is filled with Mountain Dew and Gatoraide...

Looks good! I am going to try that one day. I just have to find some banana leaves.

That looks great......I made some Spare Ribs yesterday; and on a whim, I poured some
Pineapple Juice on them while they rested....they were quite good.

I was just talking to my wife a few days ago about trying a kalua pork on the uds some time. We always make it in the crock pot, and LOVE it. We used Kosher salt too, and even sea salt from the groc. store. Then when we were in Hawaii, a lady gave us a big bag of actual Hawaiian sea salt from her family's salt business. WOW, how that made all the difference! Don't know why, but it did.

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way...
again, please, please, don't think I'm bashing, I'm not...

Thats not kalua pig... no pineapples, no garlic, no ginger, no onions, I'm sure it tasted great! its just normally "hawaiian salt"
and the smoke of Kiawe wood- or mesquite, which is a cousin...
Honestly, it would be hard to do real Kalua pork in a smoker, as real Kalua pork is more steamed in an underground oven (imu) There is banana leaves, but also the stalks as well...
Here is a couple videos of how its actually made...it will explain it better...
Me? I make mine in an oven, I use Ti leaves, Hawaiian Salt, and.....liquid smoke! No shame, I don't have an imu in my backyard:-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2XZNhmtEtE
Theres rocks under the fire...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PninlYIhW8
and some people put the rocks inside the pig

Looks great from here too!

Keale, I'll loan you my friend and his backhoe. :becky:

Back