Butter Basted Steak

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
And now for something completely different....

We start with a Bone In New York Steak. Kosher Salt and Freshly cracked Pepper...
IMG_1666.JPG

This sat for 2 days in the refrigerator..
Cast iron skillet, olive oil, heated to near-smoking..
IMG_1647.JPG

Steak on!
IMG_0522.JPG

After flipping about 4 minutes, it's time for the BUTTER BASTING!!!!
I added 2 T of butter, 3 smashed garlic cloves, and a few sprigs of thyme to the skillet, and...
IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

While it was resting, I took some slice of bread I made Saturday morning, and fried 'em up...
IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

Plated it up....
IMG_0566.JPG

Cut shot!
IMG_0573.JPG

Last edited:
Looks perfect :clap2: I've been wanting to try that butter basting method for awhile now - I think you may have pushed me to do it this week :thumb:

I'd like to baste in the butter then finish it directly on the grill. Not sure if that is possible seeing how I like my steaks rare to medium rare.

I'd like to baste in the butter then finish it directly on the grill. Not sure if that is possible seeing how I like my steaks rare to medium rare.

Normally, they come out medium rare, so you could finish it to get the grill marks.

And I was thinking about doing that. The problem was I forgot the butter, and it sat on the skillet a minute longer than it was supposed to. I have never served any steak well done, so I couldn't finish it on the grill.

Hot dam....looks delicious and that grilled bread sealed the deal!!! Nice job!! :thumb:

"bread I made" - anybody else catch that? :hail:

Already incredible, but that home made bread had to put it well over the top!

Fantastic in all directions, John!

We used to do this all the time...haven't had one in a few years. They come out perfect.

No need for grill marks. It's a different kind of presentation. If you want a grilled steak, I say grill it. If this method is what you want, then give it a chance & be true to the method.

Back