MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc
Default Pacific Smoke Signals - Brisket, Fatties, and Wings [all-day affair w/ Pr0N]

Mornin', Pholks!

I'm working on a new recipe for a chili cook-off on this coming Friday. Need to kick my game into the next gear. Thinking about smoked brisket and perhaps a fatty (or two) as the meats in the pot. Would appreciate your thoughts on the subject, as I usually just use coarsely ground beef.

Waited in line as the Commissary opened for the day to be reminded that DeCA (Defense Commissary Agency) butchers have no clue what a whole brisket is. *sigh*

Oh well. The flat will have to do. Hit it with Oakridge Black Ops (hadn't opened the sampler sized bag from Mike & Co, so I think this is my first attempt with it) and into the smoker over hickory she went.

I have 3 JD Hot chubs defrosting as we speak. Trying to decide how to divvy up the rubs on 'em. I'm thinking John Henry's Apple Chipotle (East TX), Masters Hand Trio Pepper Rub (Fort Wayne, IN), and probably something homemade like our Wicken Yanks Savoury Rub on the 3rd. Who knows.

I also have a 1/2 gal of Altenmuenster in the fridge that's waiting for the sun to rise above the yardarm.

More to come. Thanks for stopping by.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Fwismoker

Nice start Marc! Look forward to more pr0n

Say how's that beautiful little girl doing in her new home anyways?

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Nice start Marc! Look forward to more pr0n

Say how's that beautiful little girl doing in her new home anyways?
Cheers, Keith!

I think I hear her stirring as I type. She's sleeping through the night, and was a complete rockstar yesterday at her first wedding experience: one of our loadmasters married a local girl, and we had the full Okinawan experience. Luckily, she dozed in my arms through the ceremony and was bright and cheerful (then dozed off again) through the reception.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
Cheers, Keith!

I think I hear her stirring as I type. She's sleeping through the night, and was a complete rockstar yesterday at her first wedding experience: one of our loadmasters married a local girl, and we had the full Okinawan experience. Luckily, she dozed in my arms through the ceremony and was bright and cheerful (then dozed off again) through the reception.
Ah that's awesome to hear! She sure is a lucky little girl.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
landarc

That looks like a good start, and the flat will be perfect for chili. I like the idea of a fatty in there too

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Sounds like a wonderful day.

Only comment I will make on the fatty's is to think how the rub will go with the chili seasonings. Not sure how Apple will go with it...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
IamMadMan

Great start... Looking forward to seeing the final results..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Only comment I will make on the fatty's is to think how the rub will go with the chili seasonings. Not sure how Apple will go with it...
Not sure which of the fatties I'm going to add to the chili just yet. I'm like cheez in the fact that I always fire up a nekkid fatty if I have the smoker going. The apple chipotle seems to be a breakfast favorite, so I think I'll save that one. Who knows, maybe I'll whip out some Santa Fe rub that I picked up in ABQ... seems to lend itself more towards the chili line of seasonings and spices.

Appreciate the thoughts. Keep 'em coming.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #9
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

This sounds interesting Looking forward to how it turns out
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #10
ShadowDriver

Terry got me thinking about what other rubs and seasonings I have hanging about the place. I went on a treasure hunt and came back with a couple from North of the Border that I think will really do the trick. Then, I wanted to try a rub I picked up at a farmer's market back in Fort Wayne this winter.

The dark Montezuma Chipotle Seasoning on the left and the Santa Fe Rub in the middle should be thoroughly interesting when smoked on some sausage. I'll bet the fat and smoke make them big time contenders for joining the pot of chili. The Trio Pepper Rub from Masters Hand is much more "herby" with a nice kick at the end. I'll bet that's tasty in the morning for breakfast.

The sun is starting to peek over the yardarm... but the storm clouds from Taiwan & mainland China are rolling in.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #11
ShadowDriver

Pulled the fatties and placed them in a 150F oven to rest. The Chipotle and Santa Fe seemed to be rather dark... wondering if all that pork fat dripped down into the wood tray and put up some black smoke.

Brisket flat thin bits are nice and wobbly. Thicker bits still very "stiff" (for lack of better verbiage). Wrapped in butcher paper, as she was getting a bit dark, too. Will come back to probe a bit here and there in an hour.

Had a nibble from some of the rub left on the grate... YUM. This is going to taste good. Now, to get the consistency right.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:46 AM   #12
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

You are gonna kill this chili. Just wish we could taste it. You gonna use real (dried) chiles?

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2016, 12:59 AM   #13
COS
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good so far, can't wait to sesee how the flat turns out. The Commissary doesn't know the difference between the flat or whole brisket. I can still get full briskets though, which is weird in a way. I got one on now along with ribs on the rotisserie.
Good luck with your chili cook off.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #14
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
You gonna use real (dried) chiles?
Ooooh. (Sadly,) I hadn't thought about that! Sounds like a good plan. I've never done that before, but I'm all ears and ready to learn. I'm not all that bright or experienced on the subject, but I'd probably shoot for some poblanos and anchos... but I'd love to read some other ideas/sanity checks on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS View Post
Looking good so far, can't wait to sesee how the flat turns out.
Thanks, COS. It's been a while since I tried not to fark-up a brisket flat.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:29 AM   #15
COS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post

Thanks, COS. It's been a while since I tried not to fark-up a brisket flat.

And I'm trying not to fark-up a brisket for in laws. Always some ribs though.

Last edited by COS; 04-24-2016 at 01:54 AM..
COS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, Chili, fatty, Oakridge Rub, wings