MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
Fch619
Got Wood.

If you're in San Antonio and driving toward Waco there a few places that I suggest over Rudys. Near Austin , there is Salt lick bqq, it's actually in driftwood and a little off course, only about 15-20 minutes, but it's much better than Rudys. There is also schoepfs in Belton Tx. It's between Austin and Waco right off of 35. It's pretty good too. But if you're heading up 35 from San Antonio, Franklins BBQ is the place to stop. Problem is, people lineup at his place like it's a freaking Disneyland ride. So you gotta get there like at 8:30am and wait till almost 11 to get your lunch, or you can pre order but you still gotta get there before 10am. While you're in San Antonio, if you wanted to try something else like a good cut of prime rib, there is a place on the river walk, buodros. It has an excellent blackened prime rib. Dinner is a wait, but lunch is almost always an immediate seating. It's a bit pricey, close to 30 bucks for the prime rib, but it comes with russet potatoes and grilled veggies. The duck and sausage gumbo is pretty good too.
Fch619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #17
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fch619 View Post
If you're in San Antonio and driving toward Waco there a few places that I suggest over Rudys. Near Austin , there is Salt lick bqq, it's actually in driftwood and a little off course, only about 15-20 minutes, but it's much better than Rudys. There is also schoepfs in Belton Tx. It's between Austin and Waco right off of 35. It's pretty good too. But if you're heading up 35 from San Antonio, Franklins BBQ is the place to stop. Problem is, people lineup at his place like it's a freaking Disneyland ride. So you gotta get there like at 8:30am and wait till almost 11 to get your lunch, or you can pre order but you still gotta get there before 10am.
That's the 2nd reference to Belton, Tx. Didn't realize we were becoming that popular as a bbq destination.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #18
Fch619
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
That's the 2nd reference to Belton, Tx. Didn't realize we were becoming that popular as a bbq destination.
Y'all have some good stuff in Belton. I like schoepfs. They have a good pork chop, the beans are really good. Also like the jalepeno stuffed quail. The brisket was pretty good, not amazing. The ribs weren't bad either, again not the best ive had, but far from the worst. But everything there was better than anything you can get at Rudys or Bill Millers. It's worth the stop. I usually stop in on my way up to Cowboys games.
Fch619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #19
chambersuac

You're getting good BBQ input, so let me add...

While in San Antonio, go to an H.E.B. grocery store. Some days you can find prime brisket mixed in with the select or choice and pretty cheap. They just ended baby backs for $2.49/ld, I think. Anyway, while at H.E.B. Pick up some Julio's Tortilla chips. If you like tortilla chips. May sound like a strange recommendation but they are worth a try.

Also, not too far north of Waco is a town called, West. Exit and get some kolaches. They have sweet and savory types.

If I could stand up, I'd have you over for some BBQ at our home, but these days I have to rely on my son to Q and I don't know his schedule.

Enjoy your visit.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 AM   #20
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Beats the heck out of standing in line with all the hipsters in Austin.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

You guys are just great. I am sure I will gain a few pounds, and will post a trip report.
I am bringing a soft sided cooler just in case briskets are a good deal at HEB. Ill pack a few and check them on the plane ride home.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveuseen1? View Post
You guys are just great. I am sure I will gain a few pounds, and will post a trip report.
I am bringing a soft sided cooler just in case briskets are a good deal at HEB. Ill pack a few and check them on the plane ride home.
Dont forget to take pictures!
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #23
gtr

Some of these joints, esp. the meat markets, have really good jerky and sausage you can buy.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #24
chambersuac

I just heard there is a new place here in San Antonio called, "Blanco BBQ". My friend loves it and the website looks good.

www.blancobbq.com

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
Mojo56
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Just got back from my 1st ever trip to Texas. Stayed in San Antonio, went to a place there called 'The Big Bib'. I had the brisket plate which was excellent. The wife had the baby back rib plate. I thought the ribs were very good. Wifey said mine were better. :) Beans and collards were excellent sides. This place is in a run down strip center and if I hadn't read good reviews on it I probably never would have gone in. Don't let the looks fool you. Give it a try.

On the way to Austin we made a side trip to Lockhart for lunch at Smitty's. The Q was good but the experience was even better. Everyone should go here at least once in their life.
Mojo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker

I'm from Texas, but tried Hard a Eight for the first time today.... The brisket was really good (one of the best I've had) and the pepper sauce was the best they had to offer. Nice touch having bacon wrapped chicken and shrimp as well. One close to DFW airport for out of town folks.
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote