MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Pork Loin

Went shopping today and spare ribs are $3.99, Brisket is $3.49, buttts are reasonable, but we've been having them too much lately, whole pork loins are $1.99. Guess what we're having? Did a forum search on pork loins. Holy pig skin batman, what a cache of ideas. The stuffed loin is gonna get a workout this weekend.
The OL thought I was nuts. I would read the posts for awhile, go take a fatty out of the freezer, read some more, go take a pack of polish sausage out of the freezer, read some more, get a brick of bleu cheese out of the freezer, read some more, go take another pork loin out of the freezer, read some more, tell her "this will never thaw by morning, I'll just get another at the store, and put the loin back in the freezer".
Just sticking to the advice of one wiser than me "too much fuel and effort to not cook with the pit full".

Thanks Guys, your efforts at making all of this information available is not going unappreciated.

Maybe some brats in the waterpan as well.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed
Default RE: Pork Loin

stuffed is good, but 165 wrapped to 190, coolered for 3 hours, and cut (watch out for extremely hot juice) is good too.

With loins averaging 1.79#, I cook them often.

Think there might be some stuffing idears in the Roadmap thread for loins.

They are by far my favorite cut.

Leftovers: sliced, chopped and sauce added, etc.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Neil

Default Re: Pork Loin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Went shopping today and spare ribs are $3.99, Brisket is $3.49, buttts are reasonable, but we've been having them too much lately, whole pork loins are $1.99. Guess what we're having? Did a forum search on pork loins. Holy pig skin batman, what a cache of ideas. The stuffed loin is gonna get a workout this weekend.
The OL thought I was nuts. I would read the posts for awhile, go take a fatty out of the freezer, read some more, go take a pack of polish sausage out of the freezer, read some more, get a brick of bleu cheese out of the freezer, read some more, go take another pork loin out of the freezer, read some more, tell her "this will never thaw by morning, I'll just get another at the store, and put the loin back in the freezer".
Just sticking to the advice of one wiser than me "too much fuel and effort to not cook with the pit full".

Thanks Guys, your efforts at making all of this information available is not going unappreciated.

Maybe some brats in the waterpan as well.

Kevin
Looks like the Brethren has captured another soul.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default RE: Re: Pork Loin

Quote:
Probably my second favorite. Very versatile, great to serve guests, very predictable (almost always 6 hrs in the smoke, 2 in the foil, then as long in the cooler as you can stand.
Bigdog really needs to cook one of these!!

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like you're in for a fun weekend. Make sure you give us the post game report.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Kevin

Post game report:
Good eatin. They are a little dry. Probably because they didn't hit the cooler till 8:00 PM, out of the cooler at midnight, and in the fridge at 2:00 AM. Didn't slilce until this morning. Nothing some good sauce won't fix.

Left to right:
1 polish sausage stuffed
2 green olive,pepperoncini,pickled japs,garlic,bleu cheese,and a little rub.
3 Maple fattie. Maple just rules, my favorite of all three

Kevin

Old 07-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

They may be a little dry, but they look awesome!!! Good job!!

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Quote:
Probably my second favorite. Very versatile, great to serve guests, very predictable (almost always 6 hrs in the smoke, 2 in the foil, then as long in the cooler as you can stand.
Bigdog really needs to cook one of these!!
When I saw the topic, I knew that this was coming you farker.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin

Looks good to me. If it comes out a little dry then just serve it upwitha little extra sauce. I have even thought about serving it with brown gravey or better jet German Jagger sauce. My brother-in-law also makes a sauce with raisens, pine nuts and such that would really be good. I guess I need to get his recipe and post it for all to try. The thing that I have noticed about pork loin is that it is one of my least favorite things BBQ'd but my families favorite. We never have any left over so it gets fixed a lot. Don't get me wrong...I still eat it and enjoy it a lot but it is just not my favorite.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
When I saw the topic, I knew that this was coming you farker.
LMAO, you know it's gonna keep coming until I see pics of one you fixed too

Kevin, great looking eats Bro!! Very nice job. :D

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #11
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : samichlaus

How did you stuff it? Just sorta make a tunnel with a knife?

I think it's Parrothead who unrolls them, covers the meat with stuffing then rolls it back up & ties it. I would guess they look a lot like a cinnamon roll.
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Kevin

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samichlaus
How did you stuff it? Just sorta make a tunnel with a knife?

I think it's Parrothead who unrolls them, covers the meat with stuffing then rolls it back up & ties it. I would guess they look a lot like a cinnamon roll.
Yes, make an X in each end with a knife meeting in the middle. Found this doing a roadmap search here on this sight. I'm going to look around at work and see if I can find a piece of stainless steel pipe about 1 1/4" diameter. I'll try sharpening one end. Should be able to push it through the loin like coring a pineapple. The knife technique works fine, just thought a perfect circle would make a little nicer presentation. This realy was a fun experiment. Will do again.

Kevin

Old 07-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #13
Neil

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pork Loin

I fixed a 9#er yesterday stuffed with hot Italian sausage and it turned out great. I also used the X cut method and it worked out great. Per Bill's suggestion, I froze the sausage links first and it was easy to insert them into the center of the centerloin.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #14
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Man that looks good

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #15
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

I usually cut the whole tenderloin in half to make things more manageable. I then poke a Cutco blunt point slicing knife all the way through the meat and cut a little to makesure thatthe stuffing sausage will easily fit. Then I insert the sausage all the way through. I then use a big fork to poke through the tenderloin and sausage so that the sausages juice and fat can find its way to the pork to add juice and flavor. Then I rub it good and let it marinate for a while. Lastly I slather it in mustard (my granddaughter helps with this part) and plop it in the pit till it is done.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote