Great to post again, finally! Southern Q GF owners talk to me

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hey feels great to be posting here again! This semester at school has been INSANE! Teaching 2 brand new classes and football season have been super busy. FB ended 2 weeks ago and it has been slightly slower, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I will stop rambling

I know there were several brethren who bought Southern Q GF smokers before the Fall. I am just wanting to check in with them to see what they think about their pits. Sorry if y'all have been posting about them non-stop and I haven't been here to see, but would love to hear your thoughts.

I'll let you know in a month or so. Placed my order for a Limo Jr. with Scott on Nov. 4, and the wait is 5-6 weeks. Barring anything bad happening, the new smoker will get a good cook in before the first of the year - got to restock the freezer!

Great to see you back, Joedy. Quite a few cooks at the comps that I do use Southern Q smokers, a lot of them also have the trailers that Scott builds, so I feel that is a testament to their reliability and workmanship.

Great to see you back, Joedy. Quite a few cooks at the comps that I do use Southern Q smokers, a lot of them also have the trailers that Scott builds, so I feel that is a testament to their reliability and workmanship.

Thanks Ron it's good to be back! Good to know that they are used in comps too because I'm sure I would use it in a similar fashion.

Love mine. Just did my first turkey yesterday in it. Used Harvest Brine, and it cooked excellent. I placed it on a rack in the middle of the Limo Jr. and a drip pan on the shelf below. Great rich color on the bird, and even cooking. Cooked at 320, and took about 2:45 minutes for a 17 lb bird. Went real lite on the smoke. Just two pieces of applewood. Probably could have used a little more wood, but that was my only minor complaint.

Last edited:
Love mine. Just did my first turkey yesterday in it. Used Harvest Brine, and it cooked excellent. I placed it on a rack in the middle of the Limo Jr. and a drip pan on the shelf below. Great rich color on the bird, and even cooking. Cooked at 320, and took about 2:45 minutes for a 17 lb bird. Went real lite on the smoke. Just two pieces of applewood. Probably could have used a little more wood, but that was my only minor complaint.

Have you liked the way it cooks with everything else? Still seems to be holding up well? Thanks for any help.

Have you liked the way it cooks with everything else? Still seems to be holding up well? Thanks for any help.

I’ve had good luck with everything I have thrown at it. Ribs, chicken, Pork Butts, briskets to name a few. I really think Scott nailed the design of this Gravity unit. It has enough insulation, but not overboard, so you have decent airflow. It will drop in temperature fast enough if you want, and hold temp just fine at lower and hotter temps. I run it wide open with the Fireboard controlling it and BBQ guru pit viper fan Never had a run away temp spike. Settles in fine. Some day I may get the Pit Bull fan to see the difference. Maybe a little quicker recovery speed if you have the door open for any time. I truly believe this will give you as good a result as you will get on a set and forget type of pit. You can also spend more time feeding it wood if you want or mix in chunks into the charcoal chute, lots of experimenting and fine tailoring to be had. A skilled offset owner, I’m sure can out do the Jr., but he will have to work at it to beat it.

As far as construction goes, It has held up just fine, with no noticeable spot of concern. Couple of pointers if getting one.

1. Have Scott put the oil drip on the bottom of the cook chamber door. This is an option, and not listed on the website. Mine doesn’t have this and I get some oils drips to clean up beneath the main door.

2. Make sure you have some foil between the top of the charcoal chute as this spot gets lots of oily dirty smoke and liquid build up. I just fold up foil to the size I want and thickness of about 6-8 sheets and this last for quite awhile.

3. Get some type of metal bucket to dump ash into for time to time. On a 10-12 hour or longer cook, you will need to dump the ash out. I dump mine periodically in just about any cook. It’s simple and take about 10 seconds to do. I just use a pair of channel lock pliers.

Been really happy using a couple different briquettes. Kingsford Competion Pro has been really good. Got several bags from Costco on sale. Has less ash remaining than most others. Jealous Devil is also very good but harder to find and usually more $. Royal oak cooks fine but leaves a ton of Asha Dan I think it leaves a little off taste.

4. Talk to Scott about any customization you might want. I have seen several things done on these not listed on their site, so if you think of something it doesn’t have he might be able to add it or change it.

I’ve had good luck with everything I have thrown at it. Ribs, chicken, Pork Butts, briskets to name a few. I really think Scott nailed the design of this Gravity unit. It has enough insulation, but not overboard, so you have decent airflow. It will drop in temperature fast enough if you want, and hold temp just fine at lower and hotter temps. I run it wide open with the Fireboard controlling it and BBQ guru pit viper fan Never had a run away temp spike. Settles in fine. Some day I may get the Pit Bull fan to see the difference. Maybe a little quicker recovery speed if you have the door open for any time. I truly believe this will give you as good a result as you will get on a set and forget type of pit. You can also spend more time feeding it wood if you want or mix in chunks into the charcoal chute, lots of experimenting and fine tailoring to be had. A skilled offset owner, I’m sure can out do the Jr., but he will have to work at it to beat it.

As far as construction goes, It has held up just fine, with no noticeable spot of concern. Couple of pointers if getting one.

1. Have Scott put the oil drip on the bottom of the cook chamber door. This is an option, and not listed on the website. Mine doesn’t have this and I get some oils drips to clean up beneath the main door.

2. Make sure you have some foil between the top of the charcoal chute as this spot gets lots of oily dirty smoke and liquid build up. I just fold up foil to the size I want and thickness of about 6-8 sheets and this last for quite awhile.

3. Get some type of metal bucket to dump ash into for time to time. On a 10-12 hour or longer cook, you will need to dump the ash out. I dump mine periodically in just about any cook. It’s simple and take about 10 seconds to do. I just use a pair of channel lock pliers.

Been really happy using a couple different briquettes. Kingsford Competion Pro has been really good. Got several bags from Costco on sale. Has less ash remaining than most others. Jealous Devil is also very good but harder to find and usually more $. Royal oak cooks fine but leaves a ton of Asha Dan I think it leaves a little off taste.

4. Talk to Scott about any customization you might want. I have seen several things done on these not listed on their site, so if you think of something it doesn’t have he might be able to add it or change it.

Thanks for all this info. Sounds like it is a great unit and works like a champ. I am leaning strongly towards this being the nice unit I purchase to do a serious upgrade to my equipment (hopefully next year). I talked to another brethren who recommended getting the bigger tires and I think I will because it will be moved for competitions and definitely will encounter grass.

Thanks for all this info. Sounds like it is a great unit and works like a champ. I am leaning strongly towards this being the nice unit I purchase to do a serious upgrade to my equipment (hopefully next year). I talked to another brethren who recommended getting the bigger tires and I think I will because it will be moved for competitions and definitely will encounter grass.

Good luck. There are certainly others to consider, and if I were a Rich man, I probably would own many of them. Stumps, Deep South and Assasin certainly make excellent Gravity feed units. I do know the Limo Jr. is a very popular competition cooker. I’d say it’s size is excellent. Not to big or too small for comps. Can still be managed by one person with the correct setup.

The standard wheels on mine are 8” hard wheels. They are ok on hard packed soil like I have in Florida. If you hit loose or gravel, I’m sure the pneumatic style wheels are much better.

Good to see you back posting Joedy. I kinda figured you had your hands full with football and all. Sorry no help with the limo jr. My only thoughts are I have the charcoal thing covered with the WSM and MB560. My next purchase will be a stick burner of some kind

Good to see you back posting Joedy. I kinda figured you had your hands full with football and all. Sorry no help with the limo jr. My only thoughts are I have the charcoal thing covered with the WSM and MB560. My next purchase will be a stick burner of some kind

Joe, I had thought about this too. Since I have my WSM and kettle, I kind of felt like I had charcoal covered too, and had thought about a Shirley and would love to have a Shirley. I have a 3 year old and within the next year will probably try for a 2nd so I just don't know how much time can be devoted to a stick burner, but I definitely would love to have a Shirley. Joe good hearing from you too brother, now hopefully things will continue to slow down until the end of the semester in January and I can spend a little more time on here, cooking, and with family and friends.

Back