**Question for the Caterers**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here is a plan:

Wedding party Rehearsal dinner, 60-70 people max. Bride & Groom have made it obvious that they would like me to cook some meats.

Planning to roast a pig (75-85 lbs.) on a La Caja China #2 and likely chicken and Tri-tip on a Peoria or Lang trailer smoker. This is an out of town wedding and not local to me, @ 5 hours from home.

I can do this no problem, the problem we are encountering is the local caterers are reluctant to just provide the side dishes. They all seem to want to do whole menu services, stating liability etc.

I am part of the wedding party, and just want to see them happy and relaxed before their special day. Mid June date, so time is burning.

Would you take something like this request on?

Any advice to possibly smooth the caterers to the idea?

Hit me, I can take it!

I would not do it, all or nothing, besides liability, look at profit for time... just sides, not worth my time unless you want to pick up pans to go.

wile i understand your friends want the quality you are going to provide, if i had someone ask me this i would be thinking just cheap, and that is not the client i am looking for.

Perhaps, you can smooth that over and make it worth their time you might have a shot...

Would you take something like this request on?

Any advice to possibly smooth the caterers to the idea?

Hit me, I can take it!

No I would not. Lets just state the most obvious reason first and that is you are taking a huge chunk of profit away from the caterer and they could be doing another job making that profit. The second reason is there is also the caterers reputation and liability on the line if someone were to get sick or claim to get sick what ever. There is just no upside to this what so ever for a caterer. Sorry I know that's not what you want to hear but it does sound like you have enough equipment yourself to cater it along with the sides. You could rent any equipment that you don't have from a party rental company. Just a thought...

What side dishes are they wanting? It would probably be easier for you to make them also. You are already investing Tim doing the meats. The side would not.be.that hard to fit into the cookin schedule.

Thanks for the advice from the caterers perspective, it was what I was looking for and wanted to share with others in the mix.

FWIW, We did have a local caterer, that agreed to provide sides, setup, servers/bussers, table settings etc. but wanted a waiver. I can understand that. Other than ironing out the fine points it should work itself out.

Back