Combo Wood & Charcoal in an Offset

BigRich

Reaction score
What’s the best way to use charcoal for fuel and wood for flavor in an offset?

Use the lump to light and create a coal bed and then feed with wood splits

Some offset pits can accommodate a charcoal grate in the main chamber. LSG offers it as an add on, OKJ has one in one of their models. Shirley offers one that replaces the lowest food grate.

I think you would have to burn an enormous amount of charcoal if you tried to use it in the firebox.

First question is which offset brand/model. I know some people that get away with it on a small cheap offset like an OK Joe Highland, or one of the split smoker/propane units.

95% of the rest of offset smokers will not work well with running charcoal as the main heat source.

It’s an Old Country that takes 40 lbs of Kingsford through a charcoal basket to get through a 10 hr butt at 270 that’s wrapped for the last two hours.

I would get a dedicated charcoal smoker if that is what you are trying to do. Will be much more efficient. Kamado, drum, kettle, gravity fed... take you pick.

Thanks. I am. But I’d like to use you this one this way as well for now if I can.

Thanks. I am. But I’d like to use you this one this way as well for now if I can.

Rich, just understand this same question gets asked several times a month around here.

I can use my screwdriver to pound in a nail, but the hammer works much better.

Offsets are DESIGNED to be wood only cookers.

Your smoker. Your food. Your method. Consensus of the Brethren is use the right tool the right way.

I would look at the Peoria meat monster (MMIF) or the (MMOF)
I see this question a lot and that particular cooker gets overlooked. It's $$$.

-D

It’s an Old Country that takes 40 lbs of Kingsford through a charcoal basket to get through a 10 hr butt at 270 that’s wrapped for the last two hours.

And that is "the best way" to run an offset on charcoal briquettes, lots and lots of them

many folks use charcoal and sticks in their offsets (even in competitions). thats why baskets are OEM options from many very reputable builders.

as long as you know your smoker's air flow, and you are able to adjust the intake to account for coals and sticks vs a small stick only fire, you will be fine.

when i use both i burn slightly smaller well seasoned sticks on top of coals snaked on the grate after bringing the smoker up to temp with a chimney full of lit coals. i have a square firebox and it is easy to make a substantial sized snake of unlit coals with sticks on top. if you have a round firebox maybe a small basket is best.

dont be afraid to experiment as long as you first know how air flows / is controlled in your smoker. with practice you should be able to extend the time between feeding the fire. sometimes i get even temps for 3 hours.

coals with sticks is an option when you cant tend the fire every 45 minutes for 12+ hours. is it better or can you taste a difference?...questions for another thread

just my $0.02

good luck!

Why doesn’t throwing wood on top of the coals from time to time work?

Charcoal smokers (ugly drum, Weber kettle or Smokey Mountain, insulated vertical cabinets) are designed to limit the amount of air flow, causing the charcoal to burn low and slow for long times.

Wood smokers (offset smokers) are designed to increase airflow allowing wood to burn clean.

Screwdriver meet hammer.

I've always ran charcoal with splits in my stick burners. Especially for competitions. I will start with 1-2 chimney full of a good lump and about 2 splits to get it heated up. Then i will throw splits every 45 minutes to an hour. Once the coal bed is starting to dwindle down I will add more lump.

I've always ran charcoal with splits in my stick burners. Especially for competitions. I will start with 1-2 chimney full of a good lump and about 2 splits to get it heated up. Then i will throw splits every 45 minutes to an hour. Once the coal bed is starting to dwindle down I will add more lump.

Starting with charcoal to get a good base, is much different than planning to use charcoal as the main heat source!

OP seems to be asking if you can run an offset primarily with charcoal as the fuel, and add splits primarily for smoke/flavor.

I start my offset with a couple of handfuls of lump, with a split or two on top as well. But after that, am just throwing in more splits.

Back