MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
BriarPatch
Found some matches.

Default How can you compete with prices like this?

How can you compete with prices like this?

We cater any event, Small or
Large, 30 to 1,000 guests, any
where in the Southeast.

We’ll do the work
You enjoy the food!
Our professional caterers will
make your dining experience
one to remember

Meats
Chopped BBQ Ham, BBQ Chicken, Fried
Chicken, Chicken Tenders, BBQ Ribs,
BBQ Wings, Roast Beef, BBQ Turkey

Sides
Hash, Rice, Cole Slaw, Baked Beans,
Whole Kernel Corn, Green Beans,
Macaroni & Cheese, Cornbread Dressing

Desserts
Banana Pudding, Lemon Pie, Peach
Cobbler
Paper Products, Skins, Pickles, and other

BBQ Sandwiches
Little BBQ Sandwiches.
Starting as low as $5.25 per person.

BBQ Dinners
Starting as low as $7.60 per person.
1 Meat & 4 Sides
Choose 1 Meat, 4 Sides, Rolls & Tea.

Starting as low as $8.50 per person.
2 Meats & 4 Sides
Choose 2 Meats, 4 Sides, Rolls & Tea.
Starting as low as $10.75 per person.
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

Cool

Must get their food donated to them.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Price ain't everything if the food sucks. In most cases, you get what you pay for.
Ryan Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
E Mellow
On the road to being a farker

I would try before you buy in this case, somethings gotta give with prices that low.
E Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

First, if you arew going to compete on price alone you will run yourself into the ground.

Second, notice the word "Starting" in the pricing. Purchase for 1,000 people at $5.25 and you get "Little BBQ Sandwiches." How little? How many??

Come on, you'd take selling that deal. Just provide 2000 little sandwiches for $5,250 dollars. It's a slam dunk. No plates, no napkins, no muss, no fuss. just "little sandwiches" like it says.

Oh, you don't want this meat, OK that will be more then.

Oh, only $50 people, that will be $9 per person.

Classic bait and switch.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

There is no way they are selling to a party of 75 for $7, call for pricing, you will see. Also to feed 1k people for 5200 with pork and some salads, you could do alright for drop off.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know how they do it unless like mentioned above it is a bait and switch type deal. I do know though there is a bbq joint where I live that only charges for their sammiches (beef, pork,ham, sausage or turkey) right at $5 per plate and that includes two sides. I don't know how they make money off of the deal. The place is called Blue Moon BBQ. It's amazing. I've never eaten there but people talk about how inexpensive it is. Even if the food sucks how can they be making money on each plate they serve at only $5? That's amazing.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; 12-15-2009 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: Correction
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Sides - 4 sides = 2 oz each. Beans #10 can =50 servings and it costs about $5 for a can. Just warm it. You can do sides for 50 cents and then a small bun for 12 cents or less and then pork and use 3 oz for that small bun. I can buy ingredients for under a dollar. Now there's no way I'd sell sides out of a can but you sure could.

Also if it's 1000 guest price then it goes up as #'s go down. So $5,000 revenue, cost $1,000 plus incedentals = maybe $2,000 tops. Make 3K. Sounds OK to me if I want to be a bottom feeding low quality kind of business who isn't looking for repeat business unless it's all cost driven.

I wouldn't offer more than 2 sides for a meal and I'd have high quality and I'd charge more. I wouldn't try to compete with this. If a customer showed me this ad I'd say go ahead try it. I won't sacrifice quality for price.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Default And another thing

There's lots of BBQ restaurants out there selling beans from a can. macaroni from a package just add water, potatoes from a package just add water. All these things cost 10-15 cents per serving, take very little prep time (just boil water) and an hour to cook. They throw unseasoned butts in a cooker using all gas to cook with no wood then pull and add 25% water then add sauce and sell by 4 oz portions. Over 25% is added liquid and it's easy to do. It's easy to sell cheap if you want. Most people here take pride in what they sell and to compete we have to stress quality. So those mashed taters from a package become twice baked by adding a little butter, cheese, green onions and then go back in the smoker for flavor. More labor and cost but a far superior product.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Don't compete on price. You can't win doing it that way.

Therefore, you've got to compete on value.

Think about it. Does EVERYTHING you own come from the lowest cost provider? Nah. Sure...lots of folks look only at cost for some things, but there are plenty of folks out there that don't use cost as their only decision making variable.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Hey, thanks for that information. I didn't know that. That's pitiful. But I guess some folks don't care much about quality anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
There's lots of BBQ restaurants out there selling beans from a can. macaroni from a package just add water, potatoes from a package just add water. All these things cost 10-15 cents per serving, take very little prep time (just boil water) and an hour to cook. They throw unseasoned butts in a cooker using all gas to cook with no wood then pull and add 25% water then add sauce and sell by 4 oz portions. Over 25% is added liquid and it's easy to do. It's easy to sell cheap if you want. Most people here take pride in what they sell and to compete we have to stress quality. So those mashed taters from a package become twice baked by adding a little butter, cheese, green onions and then go back in the smoker for flavor. More labor and cost but a far superior product.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

I had a Rib City Grill in town this past year that took alot of my catering jobs because they were doing a half a rack of ribs and chicken with 2 sides for $9.99 per person. Well I found out they were doing danish babybacks and chicken legs for that price. They recently closed their doors and I have seen an increase in inquiries...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Let em price it low. They know what their product is worth.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
This Is How We Que It
On the road to being a farker

Buy low, sell high!
This Is How We Que It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
big range bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

It's kind of like the car ads "one at this price" in small print. By putting out ads like that they double the calls they get, its the numbers game. "Steak dinner (dine in only) $3.99 Table is $34.99" add or change one thing and they punish your pocket book. The problem is people see this and tell us "I can get it here for $$$". I just recently learned this lesson people that say "I can get it here for $$$" are people you don't want to deal with cause in the end you lose some how lol. And 90% of the time their food sucks
big range bbq is offline   Reply With Quote