MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
bradgreer
Full Fledged Farker

Default Dealing with winter weather

hello,
For those of you that have food trucks / food businesses in cold weather climates, how do you deal with walk up business during those times? In the cold and snow do you find that business drops off?

Thanks,
Brad Greer. YEAH BUDDY!! bbq team. 22.5 WSM, Camp Chef dlx. KCBS CBJ #67886
bradgreer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

If it's calling for temps below about 45* highs and lows below about 33* at night I stay at home and wait for warmer weather.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
bradgreer
Full Fledged Farker

So given that I live in extreme northern Utah, and we get quite a bit of snow every winter, do you feel like it makes it harder to be consistent?
Thanks,
Brad Greer. YEAH BUDDY!! bbq team. 22.5 WSM, Camp Chef dlx. KCBS CBJ #67886
bradgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradgreer View Post
So given that I live in extreme northern Utah, and we get quite a bit of snow every winter, do you feel like it makes it harder to be consistent?
Thanks,
Seasonal, our vending season is spring -fall unless the forecast calls for for a war weekend in the winter then we may set up a day or two. Catering drop offs mostly in the winter for us.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
bbqdrewatx
Got rid of the matchlight.

I am actually also interested in this question. As a Texas filmmaker, I'm thinking of throwing a TX BBQ party at Sundance Film Festival in January 2018. This year, it snowed 30" during that first weekend! I was thinking of getting a canopy tent to keep the snow off a smoker, but it's still incredibly cold!

This year, we had people trek out (walking, no less) in single degree weather to party with us overnight, but do these weather conditions make smoking meats an impossibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqdrewatx View Post
but do these weather conditions make smoking meats an impossibility?
That would depend greatly on your smoker. I cook on a 1/4" wall offset smoker and I've not found a temp to date I could not cook in. I've cooked several times at 10 degrees but never tried colder. I've cooked many times in the teens and twenties.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
bbqdrewatx
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
That would depend greatly on your smoker. I cook on a 1/4" wall offset smoker and I've not found a temp to date I could not cook in. I've cooked several times at 10 degrees but never tried colder. I've cooked many times in the teens and twenties.

That's really encouraging. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk