MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Catering for 125...

Got tasked with catering my niece's wedding in September. Sending 125 invites. Planning to do pulled, wingettes, baked beans, Mac n cheese, and Cole slaw. Am thinking I will do 90 lbs of butt for a net of roughly 45 lbs of pulled...About 1/3 lb per person. Unsure how many pounds of wingettes I should do. Also, using STD 9x13 casserole dishes, how many I should do of beans, Mac and slaw. We will be offering dinner rolls for those wanting plates and buns for those wanting sammich. The dessert decision hasn't been made.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and/or suggestions...I have never done an event for quite this many.

Edit:. I need to find out how many attendees will be smaller children...May be doing burgers or dogs for them.
Old Country Smokehouse; Pit Barrel Cooker; WSM 22; Weber OTG 22; [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]36"[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Blackstone griddle; [/COLOR][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermoworks Smoke; [COLOR=Blue][B]BLUE [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen; [B]BLACK[/B] Thermopop[COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

Done many of these. 125 invites could mean many different thing if each invited has a spouse and kids or all singles in their 20's. Get this clarified. Then find out how many are out of town and not likely to attend. Pork I'd figure 4-6 ounces cooked each. Wings depends on if invited are 20 something drinking buddies or grandma's and aunts. 3-4 average each. Sides again by the ounce and then 4 ounces per serving each side. For bread usually only half will want any but get enough for 75%. Good luck!
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorolddan View Post
Done many of these. 125 invites could mean many different thing if each invited has a spouse and kids or all singles in their 20's. Get this clarified. Then find out how many are out of town and not likely to attend. Pork I'd figure 4-6 ounces cooked each. Wings depends on if invited are 20 something drinking buddies or grandma's and aunts. 3-4 average each. Sides again by the ounce and then 4 ounces per serving each side. For bread usually only half will want any but get enough for 75%. Good luck!
According to the niece, the 125 is the total number of attendees expected. Gotta keep it "small" since the ceremony is apparently taking place at my house, thanks to my wife volunteering it. Is a "Western-Meets-Pool Party" theme. How the heck do they expect to get 125 people (or even half that) in my pool???

There are maybe 20-25 I know of that are from out of town...knowing them, they will all be here. Unsure about the groom's side.

I have done events for as many as 60...just always had a partner who handled sides while I delivered on the meats. I can put the sides together, but never dealt with the portioning/quantity aspect of the planning.

Thanks for your input!
Old Country Smokehouse; Pit Barrel Cooker; WSM 22; Weber OTG 22; [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]36"[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Blackstone griddle; [/COLOR][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermoworks Smoke; [COLOR=Blue][B]BLUE [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen; [B]BLACK[/B] Thermopop[COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]
Old 01-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

you will at least need enough stuff for 125. i will let the others chime in now. maybe they can share more.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorolddan View Post
This is much better than my answer

Edict.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
you will at least need enough stuff for 125. i will let the others chime in now. maybe they can share more.
Thank you for those "words of wisdom"! How did I not think of that?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwram1 View Post
Thank you for those "words of wisdom"! How did I not think of that?
Just joking.. can you get into catering forum

wealth of info there.

Edict.