MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #31
jkief
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeffry

Short answer: On a MAK, no.
On an inferior pellet grill: yes.
Long answer: I’ve not had one on my MAK since I bought it in 2017. My .02$, since you asked, is this...(specifically for MAK). I rarely ever use probes while the meat is cooking. The MAK is so consistent in keeping temps (although set temp and actual temp will vary) with little fluctuation. Therefore it’s easy to predict stages of the cook based on times alone after cooking on it so long. I also don’t really adjust my temps either. At 200-275, she chugs enough smoke, I don’t have to start low then bump temp. The Yoder is the first pellet I’ve had where it came with WiFi. In the Yoder, I would 100% recommend it because if you wanted that smoke flavor, you’re going to have to start early and go really low, then bump the temp up. I re-heated my tri-tip in the Yoder yesterday and the WiFi worked great for that so I knew when the meat was back up to temp, but I wouldn’t shell out extra $ for it on my MAK. In a few months, it won’t matter to new MAK owners. They’re going to start putting them standard. That’s a smart move on their part. Need to stay feature rich to compete in this segment. I would rather see a second shelf as standard myself, but I digress.

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-06-2021, 11:41 AM   #32
SVTNate
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Nate

I haven't used it on my RecTec other than to turn the unit on and just glance at the app during a cook, really... but if I was going to use temp probes, I like that I can monitor that from my phone.

I can say that it works perfectly in my limited experience, so it's a feature

a) I didn't pay extra for
b) May come in handy at some point.

So why not?
SVTNate is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #33
Ylouder
On the road to being a farker

I have found the software to be buggy and not reliable over time.

If i have to run somewhere and my wife isnt home to keep an eye on things, ive used an arlo camera and my wireless, 2 probe thermometer and will set both on my back porch away from smoker (camera pointed at digital display on thermo). It gives me the temp of pit and meat, i cant figure out what else a brand specific wifi controller would do.
Ylouder is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #34
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

My take is that’s it depends. I would not want to do overnight unattended cooks without at least some type of remote pit alarm (and preferably a meat probe as well). On my MAK I don’t have WiFi but I use a Smoke to give high and low alarms. I’ve used the CyberQ on my WSM for this purpose and have, occasionally, changed cook temps from the golf course. At this point I’m not really looking to go WiFi on the MAK - just want to know if the fire goes out or is about to burn down the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->