MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #31
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by edapp View Post
Can you comment on the stability of the cooker when resting on the adjustable jack, and the trailers mobility?

Do you have a dolly to move the cooker without having to hitch it to a vehicle? How does it balance? Approximate tongue weight? Any stability issues with a trailer this short/narrow?

I am planning to build one almost exactly like this. I love how compact it is. I would like to be able to roll it around my driveway though without having to hitch it up so curious about how mobile it is at 2,300 lbs.
I sure can. It is as solid as a rock and follows my 4Runner around like a dream. No problem at all. I'm not sure about the tongue weight - but it wouldn't be light.

I had Tyler Shirley build a hitch dolly and that is the bee's knees. My wife can pull it around my shop without a problem. I tend to have a difficult time trying to back up short trailers - so I dont even try. I drop it off and pull in into my shop, or into my overhang with the trailer dolly.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #32
Penguinshockey87
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Brett

I'm jealous. That's a beauty.
Penguinshockey87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2021, 06:12 AM   #33
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinshockey87 View Post
I'm jealous. That's a beauty.
Thanks. Really enjoying it. Have a bigger cook on Friday - 4 briskets, 4 pork shoulders, 8 racks of spare ribs.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #34
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm getting a number of PMs on how much this cooker cost. Remember that this was ordered a couple of years back - before the big steel pricing increases. Each cooker is an individual order with specific options each costing a set amount. Tyler offers no discounts - doesn't need to because people are in a long line waiting to get one. So just price out the options on the current price list and you'll have the total price. It's not helpful to the Shirley's to post pricing that is a couple of years old. Hopefully everyone understands.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #35
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Is this size to big to fire up for a small cook for the family. Just one pork butt or two racks of ribs or one brisket?
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #36
HogGrog
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Congrats!

It’s spectacular!
Bar-B-Que ain’t air pollution…
HogGrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #37
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Is this size to big to fire up for a small cook for the family. Just one pork butt or two racks of ribs or one brisket?
Not at all. At least in my opinion. If you use the baffle and close off the warmer, then you have a cooking chamber that is only 6" wider than the smallest Shirley. To me, its great for little cooks, and great to feed an army (which I am doing this weekend.)

Old 05-07-2021, 06:44 AM   #38
Tango Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Super smoker man, you are going to enjoy years of fine BBQ!
Welcome to the Shirley Family!

Old 05-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #39
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Not if you are Hungry and want to cook some great food for the family.
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #40
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
I'm getting a number of PMs on how much this cooker cost. Remember that this was ordered a couple of years back - before the big steel pricing increases. Each cooker is an individual order with specific options each costing a set amount. Tyler offers no discounts - doesn't need to because people are in a long line waiting to get one. So just price out the options on the current price list and you'll have the total price. It's not helpful to the Shirley's to post pricing that is a couple of years old. Hopefully everyone understands.

You ordered it a couple years ago, but you pay the current steel prices when they start your build, right? I also ordered mine ~2 years ago but I'm paying today's steel prices.
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #41
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonVolt View Post
You ordered it a couple years ago, but you pay the current steel prices when they start your build, right? I also ordered mine ~2 years ago but I'm paying today's steel prices.
Yes, you're right in most cases. I paid for mine last Spring - and then with COVID, it took a year to get it shipped to me across the border. Trump's tariffs and covid related steel jumps came after I paid.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #42
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:

This is some what true.... but we do our best to keep it fair... i assure you absolutely positively 100% we are not coming close to recovering from everything...axels... wheels, tires gauges, spring handles, hitches, receivers, tires, wheels, gauges, welding wire, welding gas, mig tips, liners, push caps, lights the list goes on and on and on.....,.....then the big one.....Steel has doubled in price...... so Nah we sure are not recovering it all....

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #43
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaloosaQ View Post
This is some what true.... but we do our best to keep it fair... i assure you absolutely positively 100% we are not coming close to recovering from everything...axels... wheels, tires gauges, spring handles, hitches, receivers, tires, wheels, gauges, welding wire, welding gas, mig tips, liners, push caps, lights the list goes on and on and on.....,.....then the big one.....Steel has doubled in price...... so Nah we sure are not recovering it all....
Great to hear from the man himself!

Old 05-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #44
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Sounds like this is correct.